Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i would guess that the problem remains b/c whatever you updated, it did not include updating the kernel, and specifically, that rfcomm kernel module. i am not familiar w/the Voyage ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

i would guess that the problem remains b/c whatever you updated, it did not include updating the kernel, and specifically, that rfcomm kernel module. i am not familiar w/the Voyage MPD, but perhaps it uses a custom kernel? Have you tried installing kernel from the Debian apt sources? Does your Voyage have documentation that explains how to install Debian packages? I would think the standard Debian kernels would have the bluetooth stuff enabled (but can't say for sure).

Just Joined!
    hi
    Voyage Linux is Debian derived distribution that is made to play music, it is very "skinny".
    MPD is a daemon that only wait to play music files.
    For that reason i tihnk there are no RFCOMM module in the kernel.
    I don't wanto to install other kernel version because Voyage MPD is light for the reason that it has to be light so it will be a downgrade.
    I am afraid that i nedd to recompile the kernel.
    Can someone help me to do this?
    thank you

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by spaxa View Post
    Voyage Linux is Debian derived distribution that is made to play music, it is very "skinny".
    MPD is a daemon that only wait to play music files.
    For that reason i tihnk there are no RFCOMM module in the kernel.
    yeah, that is a good reason why the kernel module would be missing. though i would think bluetooth would be a handy component for a music player.

I don't wanto to install other kernel version because Voyage MPD is light for the reason that it has to be light so it will be a downgrade.
    i would not hurt to try though. and it would be easier than recompiling your own kernel.

I am afraid that i nedd to recompile the kernel.
    Can someone help me to do this?
    i would grab the kernel from kernel.org, then untar it and read the instructions in the README. from memory, it is basically:

Code:
    make O=../path/to/build/dir menuconfig
    (here you select kernel options in a menu)
    make O=../path/to/build/dir
    make O=../path/to/build/dir modules_install install
    it is possible/likely that Voyager has added their own kernel patches. it would be best if you could find out if they have any, and if so, get those. also, you should use their kernel config. you can either get it from the running system in /proc/config.gz, or if that doesn't exist (it usually doesn't unless you specifically ask for it during kernel compilation), then you can try looking in /boot for it. it might be something like /boot/config-<KERNEL_VERSION>, or similar. it is a simple ASCII text file. to use it, you'd copy it either to your kernel build dir (if you are using one), or to the kernel source you untarred. then before the "make menuconfig" command, you'd do:

Code:
    make O=../path/to/build/dir oldconfig
    you'll be prompted to answer a bunch of questions (about new kernel configurations), just accept all the defaults, unless you want to read them and decide what you want to do.

after you do the "make modules_install install" command, the kernel files should get copied to your /boot dir, and your bootloader may get updated. be sure to check it, if grub, check /etc/grub.conf, for example. you may need to add your new kernel manually.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2