Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello again, and again i am not sure if this is correct forum. but here goes: i have new laptop that i need to boot to Linux from DVD and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot images

hello again, and again i am not sure if this is correct forum. but here goes: i have new laptop that i need to boot to Linux from DVD and it has something called UIFE firmware - which i guess is just a new kind of BIOS. apparently it demands a special 2 partition type of boot image. does anyone know how and/or where i can get the image so i can build a boot disk using UltraISO or whatever? as always, tia -alan...

If your machine has EFI capable BIOS and Windows OS installed in UEFI mode, Linux installation won't work fine. We have to check Hard disk's partition structure of your machine first.
    Boot up from LiveCD/USB of any Linux distro and execute fdisk -l command in Terminal. Post output here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks for your response, but unfortunately my question is how to create a bootable cd/dvd/usb, so i can't really boot from one of these devices to attempt to solve the problem.

arwar...

First get an ISO image from one of the flavors you wish to install on your machine. Using windows or whatever use a CD/DVD writer, in "Data" mode or 'image' to read the ISO file and build the disk. This will make a boot able installable DVD or CD. I believe that the EFI capable BIOS is for booting off a network. Most have it now, but did your machine come with Windows or did you install it? I see the EFI stuff all the time and just ignore it. But the previous answer is good in that you should probably run a 'live' version of Linux to ensure it will not have problems. I know GRUB (latest boot-loader) checks out the disk before it writes, so I would guess it would be safe, but as for all software, there is NO guarantee that it will not cause a data loss.

DVD"s have about 4.7 GB compared to about .5 MB on a CD so you may have to have a stack of CD's where I have 3 for Debian.

You can also get a net version of some types of distros that will load and format the disk then download what it needs via the Internet. You need a dependable (and fast) network or it takes a long while. There are advantages to this in the it only downloads what it needs and you get the latest and greatest version.

Best of luck

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by arwar View Post
    hello again, and again i am not sure if this is correct forum. but here goes: i have new laptop that i need to boot to Linux from DVD and it has something called UIFE firmware - which i guess is just a new kind of BIOS. apparently it demands a special 2 partition type of boot image. does anyone know how and/or where i can get the image so i can build a boot disk using UltraISO or whatever? as always, tia -alan...
    I assume you mean UEFI, not UIFE. You can use a standard Linux live cd/dvd created similarly to jkwilborn's instructions. That will be El Torito format and should boot on your machine if you go into your BIOS and disable Quick Boot/Fast Boot and Intel Smart Response Technology, also disable FastStartup if the machine has Windows 8. If SecureBoot is enabled, disable that too.

Here's a Ubuntu link with more discussion of the issues and with further instructions on proceeding to hard disk installation if you're using Ubuntu.

Good luck! The live boot part is pretty easy, the installation to hard drive can be a little dicier but isn't horribly difficult.

Just Joined!
    well i have a whole slew of bootable cds and dvds and i used to build them from scratch all the time. over the past few years i haven't had any need to boot to disk. well now i have a toshiba win8 laptop and it has something called UIFE. after scouring forums on this new type of BIOS, it seems that it needs two partitions of some sort to boot. other toshiba users report going into Advanced Setup/boot and selecting CSM (whatever that is) over the UIFE. well on this system, that option is there but greyed out. when i try to boot from anything i get a media failed message - sometimes it tries 3-4 times before defaulting to HDD. i downloaded an .iso image and lili usb creator and 'burned' a 4GB usb stick. same result. it took several hours to download a 3.7 GB image while a normal 4GB downlaod takes about 20 minutes. ergo - i was just looking for the boot image - once i can get something that will boot i can use UltraISO or whatever and replace the 'bad' boot image with one that works without wasting hours waiting on download. on another box i downloaded another iso Debian distro but haven't had time to test it yet. i have ISOtoUSB which will burn it to a stick or i can use the image burning feature of Nero to burn a DVD. i have taken all of those steps mentioned above - disable fast boot, etc. the problem is that it not a 'normal' Pheonix BIOS - it is this new standard and unless it finds something called a GPT (or whatever it's called) it won't boot.

I'm sorry for your dilemma, arwar. It's unfortunate that you got UIFE firmware instead of UEFI, since there doesn't seem to be any information available on the Internet about UIFE firmware. There's plenty about UEFI, however, and prior remarks here have been for UEFI.

It does look like there's an additional quirk on recent UEFI Toshibas, You also have to go into the BIOS setup and Select Advanced -> System Configuration, and then Boot Mode. Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Under this scenario, you'd probably be unable to install Linux for dual boot from the booted live CD, but you don't say anything about wanting to do that. And in any case, you have UIFE, not UEFI.

It's also possible to build an ISO with dual El Torito boot images so that it's compatible with stock UEFI BIOS. The directions I can find require a Linux command line environment. But again, since you don't have UEFI, that probably won't help you. Example link here in case it will help anyone else.

Just Joined!
    actually i am starting a new support group - DAF - aka Fathers Against Dsylexia, but then again if look at my previous post you may notice i already stated that the CSM boot option is greyed out in the advanced setup on this toshiba...

Just Joined!
    actually that link will probably solve the problem. tia

Anwar, I too am sorry that you are stuck. I know there is a movement and suit against Microsoft in Europe over the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in they are saying that Microsoft is enforcing a monopoly forcing hardware makers to make hardware that supports their secure boot process. Apparently there is a way around it and you should check it out, but they say it's not for the average user. I have an MSI motherboard and I have had both Windows 8 and Linux up and running in a dual boot configuration, so I know it works on my machine. I have since then removed the boot disk for Windows 8, but it's in the closet in case I wish to use it. What the European people want is a way to disable this that is easily found in the BIOS and can be turned off. Also, by the name, it seems that you should be able to 'extend' it!

If you hunt around, you may find and alternative to the situation. I understand that almost all BIOS have a way to disable UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) and use the CMS (Content Management System) instead. What the difference is I don't know, just more cryptic alphabet soup words. How new is the device you are using? I could understand the problem, but I'm sorry I can't offer much assistance. Also, I think 'burn' is used for media such as CD/DVD type, not standard memory storage. You do need a program to write to the device, which is where Nero comes in. My guess is that you do not have access to a fast Internet, I was in the same boat and I think the Linux world expects a good Internet connection for most things to work properly. That leaves people that have slow or expensive connections out in the cold. I recently moved to a good Internet location and am I glad, no more waiting for the data to get here. Or did I misread your post? Was it that you were writing to the USB device that it took so long? If so, download it then write it to the device, you should be able to find the proper software to do that. I use dd on my machine, Linux of course.

If you have purchased this machine, I would go to the manufacturer and see if they have a work around for you. To me it's unconceivable that they could sell a machine that wouldn't boot anything but Windows 8. I'd be po'd enough to raise hell with the manufacturer. I purchased my motherboard in December of 2012, so it's not very old, made by MSI and seems to work with everything I've used on it and it's Microsoft certified for Windows 8.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd at least check with the manufacturer. Best of luck, keep us informed about how you make out.

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast