Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yancek
Hello, I would like to thank you in advance for your help, I hope will be a fast answer because the problem it's kinda urgent. So, today i installed Debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I screwed it up, now I need help

Hello, I would like to thank you in advance for your help, I hope will be a fast answer because the problem it's kinda urgent.
    So, today i installed Debian for the first time on my desktop which already had Windows 7.
    Of course I was stupid and I didn't pay attention at the instalation. I really don't know what I did, but my windows is freezing as hell now. Debian is not even booting.
    So if there is a way to fix this, even if i have to uninstall debian (I didn't find a way to do that either) please help me and I will be grateful forever
    Btw I installed GRUB for Boot and Debian is working in system recovery mode.

Linux Guru
    Always a bad idea to not watch an installation, at least when you are new to it. I don't see how installing Debian is going to cause your windows installation to freeze, makes no sense as they would be on separate partitions. You don't uninstall operating systems the way you do general software. The usual method is to reformat whichever partition you don't want. Before doing anything, do you have a full windows 7 installation disk? Or do you have a Recovery CD of some kind?

Did you install the Debian Grub bootloader to the master boot record? Are you still able to boot windows 7, but it just doesn't work well? If you are able to boot the installed Debian, do you know how to access a terminal? If so, log in as root user using the root password you set up during the installation and run this command: fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command). Then run this command: df -T . Post the output here. If you don't get any output, post whatever you see. Do you know how to navigate the Debian filesystem? If you do, go to the /boot/grub/ directory and look for the grub.cfg file and post the menuentry listings from it. You may have a grub2 directory and not a grub directory or you may have both. If there is a grub2 directory that is what we are looking for.

Not knowing what happened during the install will present problems. If you are unable to boot the installed Debian, use the Live/Install CD and run those commands. You won't need to log in as root but just prefix each command with the word 'sudo', without quotes.
    jayd512 likes this.

Just Joined!

Outputs

I don't have a windows 7 CD/DVD.
    I think yes, I installed Debian Grub bootloader to the master boot record.
    My windows starts to boot, then freezes at loading screen.
    I can acces the debian terminal in system recovery mode.
    Now for the outputs you asked:
    - at fdisk -l command:
    Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cyinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1*512 =512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes/512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/ptimal): 512 bytes/512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x2c352c34

Device
    /dev/sda1 *
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda5
    /dev/sda6
    /dev/sda7

-at df -T command:
    Filesystem

rootfs
    udev
    tmpfs
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/1cd29012-2248-482a-acfe-17bde24262940
    tmpfs
    tmpfs

-menuentry in grub.cfg:

load_video
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos6)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1cd29012-2248-482a-acfe-17bde24262940
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae root=UUID=1cd29012-2248-482a-acfe-17bde24262940 ro quiet
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae

Thanks again for your help, I screwed this big time and I have lots of information on my disk, I can only format it in a last desperate measure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    When you say Debian doesn't boot, does it start to boot? Does it end up on a black screen with a flashing cursor? Do you end up with the "Grub console"?Also, you could grab yourself an external hard disk and use the Debian live CD to copy your data over before you format your disk; which while incurring a cost is probably worth it if your data is important.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!

I screwed it up, now I need help

I got a strange version of Debian from the internet, burned it on a disk and installed it.
    The strage part is that it doesn't have graphical interface, all the OS is just the terminal.
    Yes, the Debian starts to boot, but then if I boot it nornally(i mean not in recovery mode) gets stuck after it fails to load some things as audio and video.
    In recovery mode it loads those and i can acces the terminal.

L.E.: The debian version is:
    Debian 7.1.0 netinst
    Last edited by Hobotronic; 07-09-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: later edit

If you didn't get it from the official site I would recommend getting an iso from there and re-installing it. As you are a beginner, it may be worth grabbing a full iso rather than a small one.That said however, it may just be that you need to install some drivers. What graphics card do you have? and what happens if you press Ctrl + Alt + F1 when Debian stops booting?

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    You didn't post the full output of fdisk which would have been more helpful as it shows size, type and fs type.
    From the info you posted it would appear Debian is on sda6 and your menuentry looks good for Debian. The version of Debian you are using is the netinstall version which I'm not familiar with. If you can, I would suggest you download a standard Debian iso.

Ah yes a net install. This is a minimal installation which will only give a terminal. Assuming it stops at a login prompt then you can do the following to get a working desktop. I have no idea of your preferences are so I'll use my personal favourite, Xfce.

At the login prompt enter your user name and password. You will never see anything appear on the screen when entering your password into a terminal.

If you entered a root or administrator password during installation follow these instructions

Code:
    su
    <Enter your root password>
    apt-get update
    apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    shutdown -r now
    If you didn't enter a root password do this

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    <Enter your password>
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    <Enter your password if asked>
    sudo shutdown -r now
    <Enter your password if asked>
    The apt-get install lines will want to install a whole bucket full of additional packages. You should allow it to do so. If all goes well, once you have rebooted using the shutdown command, you should get a GUI.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Comments, observations, possibly slightly OT:

1) I use the netinst iso most often, occasionally burning it, but usually just using the iso as the boot-install medium for virtual machines.

2) The netinst editions have the minimal content to start the install, but get the bulk of the code from the net, hence the name netinst. So one would need a working, configurable network card, an accessible DHCP server to provide an IP, etc. The code then comes from the site that the user chooses, e.g. ftp.us.debian.org.

3) One of the last parts of all installs (that I know of) is the task selection, controlled by program tasksel:
    Code:
    % tasksel --list-tasks
    i desktop	Desktop environment
    i web-server	Web server
    i print-server	Print server
    u dns-server	DNS server
    u file-server	File server
    i mail-server	Mail server
    i database-server	SQL database
    u laptop	Laptop
    u manual	manual package selection
    assuming that one chooses the desktop option:
    Code:
    % tasksel --task-desc desktop
    This task provides basic desktop software and serves as a basis for the GNOME and KDE desktop tasks.
    If one does not choose that, then later if a desktop is desired one must do something like elija posted. I would try that suggestion first, but it's possible that there may be something else that went awry during the install.

4) Debian is not often suggested as a first choice for beginners.

In any event, best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )