Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night, I installed Debian on my multi-boot system having no idea what I was getting into. My problem is quite simple. I need to change the default on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Novice with Grub Menu Problem

Last night, I installed Debian on my multi-boot system having no idea what I was getting into.

My problem is quite simple. I need to change the default on my GRUB menu.

Now, for as easy as that sounds, it isn't.

I cannot boot into Debian. When I try to boot into Debian, I get random horizontal lines across my display similar to static.

Booting into Mint and Windows is no problem. It's just that GRUB boots into a currently non-working install of Debian by default.

Since I wanted to change the default, I did the obvious thing by booting into Mint. In Mint, I went to /etc/default/grub and changed the default menu number. I then used sudo update-grub in terminal. This had no effect. I then mounted in Mint the partition containing my Debian install, edited the /etc/default/grub on that partition and tried sudo update-grub again. Once again, there was no effect.

Please keep in mind that I am a novice when it comes to Linux. Yes, I understand the what the terminal is and have no fear of using it. No, I really don't know much about actually using it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Okay. I solved the initial problem by editing the menu default grub.cfg file. Now, I need to get GRUB updating to default back to Mint. My GRUB loader and Mint are on the same HDD. Debian is installed onto a different HDD. I really don't want my GRUB updating to be dependent upon files that are on a second HDD.

Linux Guru
    Did you accept the default for the bootloader install with Debian? If you did that, then the Debian bootloader is installed to the mbr of the first drive which I expect is where you have Mint. If you want to boot with Mints bootloader with Mint as the default you need to just boot Mint and run: sudo grub-install /dev/sda. That of course is dependent upon where you have Mint, if it is actually on sda. You don't indicate which is which.

I then mounted in Mint the partition containing my Debian install, edited the /etc/default/grub on that partition and tried sudo update-grub again. Once again, there was no effect.
    Running update-grub in Mint won't work to update the Debian bootloader. You need to either be booted into Debian or to chroot to Debian from Mint.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    ...just boot Mint and run: sudo grub-install /dev/sda.
    Yes. That appears to have done exactly what I needed it to do, and from henceforth, I now have the knowledge I think to decide which distro installed on my system is controlling GRUB.

Thank you for your kindness.