Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Nothing happened. I put that after the resources list at blinking cursor and it didn't do anything why? No updates? When you open Synaptic how do I find the package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nothing happened. I put that after the resources list at blinking cursor and it didn't do anything why? No updates? When you open Synaptic how do I find the package I want? Do a search for flash or what?

Just Joined!
    I have a major problem. After I posted the resource list from root terminal, I had hit enter and went and did the update thing. Got error that 'sudo' was not in resource list and I must go to my repositories to correct it. That error box is over my synpatic package when bring it up and I cannot access the program. all I can do is close it. Now I cannot use synaptic at all. What do I do now? grrr.....

Linux Guru
    I don't use Debian on a regular basis but the last time I installed it, the installation medium used "sudo" but during the installation, I was prompted to create a root user and then I would need to enter "su" (without quotes) in a terminal and enter the root user password. I'm really not sure what you are doing here. In the suggestion above to use gedit, that (gedit) is a text editor so if you login as root and enter: gedit /etc/apt/sources.list, it should open that text file where you can see what is in the file.

You can then make any changes and save the file. After that, run the update command suggested above. Unless you have configured sudo and are able to use it, you should use su and then enter your password. Maybe someone who is a regular Debian user will have more info.

Linux Newbie
    The sources.list file you posted is fine; no need to change it.

Got error that 'sudo' was not in resource list
    In a terminal:
    Code:
     su -l
    enter password to get root priviledges, then enter
    Code:
     apt-get update
    when that's done, enter
    Code:
     apt-get install sudo flashplugin-nonfree

Just Joined!
    Yes I did that opened root terminal and put gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and posted it here. Then, I went down a line in same terminal and did the sudo update line. Now, I have an error and need to correct it. Where do I find that resource list I saved to correct the line? Now Synaptic package is unuseable.

Just Joined!
    Thanks but I first have to fix that resources list I saved in root terminal and don't know where or how to find it now. Seems there is an error in a last line when I added that update and now I cannot access my terminal nor Synpatic package.

Linux Guru
    When you ran: gedit /etc/apt/sources.list in a terminal, it should have opened a text file showing the contents of the 'sources.list' file. You just navigate in a terminal or file manager to the /etc directory, then the apt sub-directory and the sources.list file is there. If you ran the update line and got an error it would be wise to post the actual error here else no one will know what it is.

Just Joined!
    E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 17 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Just Joined!
    How do I navigate in the terminal to that directory? I put /etc directory and got it is a directory that is all. Where is file manager?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I think I see what's happening here; it looks like you added the sudo apt-get update to your sources.list file.

In your terminal run

Code:
    su 
    <enter your root password>
    gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Remove any sudo lines, save the file and close the editor. Then in the terminal run

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    If you are unsure then paste your current /etc/apt/sources.list here and we'll take a look for you.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast