Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm on a desktop Debian 7.0, Iceweasel 17 computer. Only been on Linux system 7 weeks now. I have several program packages (sorry don't know lingo yet) in my download ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install packages in download folder

I'm on a desktop Debian 7.0, Iceweasel 17 computer. Only been on Linux system 7 weeks now. I have several program packages (sorry don't know lingo yet) in my download file or folder. Have unpacked them and get a box listing everything in there. How do I install these packages? Cannot view YouTube or flash videos and have programs to install. My flash is 10.1.

I am 63 so please give instructions for Dummies lol.

Linux Guru
    What packages (names) and where did you get them? Generally, the packages/programs are downloaded and installed from the Debian repositories. The page below explains installing flash on Debian 7 so give it a read:

Debian 7 Wheezy: Install Flash Player

Linux Newbie
    There are not many instances where you'll need to download a package or application, and then install it from your download directory.

Debian maintains a repository (think server) where just about every application you might want is stored and available, and you access that repository through a package manager. A package manager downloads and installs applications and packages for you.

There are several package managers; some are graphical (point and click), others are accessed through the terminal. Synaptic is a commonly used graphical package manager.

There are a couple of steps to set up and maintain your system. 1) Selecting the repositories you want to use, 2) updating your list of repository packages. Once this is done, you can then update the packages installed in your system for security and maintinence, and also install the applications and packages you want, like iceweasel or flashplayer.

Which flavor (Gnome, KDE, LXDE) of Debian did you install?

Can you post what's in the /etc/apt/sources.list file?
    Last edited by fanderal; 07-20-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Just Joined!
    I got them from several links given to me in the Newbies thread. Are for quicktime. I have tried the Wheezy link you gave above and in root terminal get: it is either obsolete or missing cannot install. I have flash 10.1 and I cannot view YouTube or flash videos.

Just Joined!
    I have Synaptic. Have tried it and gone to settings-respositories. Nothing is listed there. My terminal is still open on desktop and I put to add the sources list with that code you gave. Says it is still running. I have Gnome. 7.0. I only have flashplayer 10.1 It doesn't work with any videos or flash online. How do you select the responsitories you want to use and update? I have tried going to adobe website and installing with package manager the flashplayer 11.1 or 2. I cannot get error. Terminal says it is obsolete or missing. How do I find the sources list file to post it? Sorry went from xin xp to Linux 6 weeks ago and still trying to learn.

Linux Guru
    My terminal is still open on desktop and I put to add the sources list with that code you gave.
    The sources.list file is a simple text file. If you use gedit as your text editor you would enter in a terminal: gedit /etc/apt/sources.list. You might need to be root to do this.

Linux Newbie
    How do you select the responsitories you want to use and update?
    First, the repositories. In a terminal:

Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    The sources.list file contains the repositories you want to use. I run Wheezy and these are the repos (repositories) I use:

# Wheezy
    deb Index of /debian wheezy main contrib non-free
    # deb-src Index of /debian wheezy main contrib non-free

# Wheezy Security
    deb Debian -- Security Information wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
    # deb-src Debian -- Security Information wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# Multimedia
    deb Deb Multimedia Packages::Home wheezy main non-free
    # deb-src Deb Multimedia Packages::Home wheezy main non-free
    If your sources.list file is different, add the pound sign '#' in front of each repo line that's already there, but different, so it will be ignored. For example, I don't often use source packages from the deb-src repo (as shown above) so I don't include them. When I want to use it, I'll uncomment the line by deleting the #. After finishing the edit, save and close the sources.list file.

Second, do the update. In a terminal:

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    In the terminal, you'll see it connect to the Debian repos and update your list of packages. When it's done, close the terminal and open Synaptic. You'll now be able to install the latest version of flashplayer and whatever else you want.

Just Joined!
    Since I only had flash 10.1 I looked up Debian 7 online and found quicktime for Gnome player.

Just Joined!
    I can only use root. I am blocked for some reason from using just terminal. I didn't put gedit before the rest of the code and the process was still running after 40 minutes so canceled it.

Just Joined!
    # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20130615-21:53]/ wheezy main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20130615-21:53]/ wheezy main

deb Index of /debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
    deb-src Index of /debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb Debian -- Security Information wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src Debian -- Security Information wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb Index of /debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src Index of /debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast