Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to learn the Linux OS and have an HP p-2-1310 running Windows 8. I am hoping to install Debian on a separate partition, but so far the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Debian on HP p2-1310 - Seperate Partition

I would like to learn the Linux OS and have an HP p-2-1310 running Windows 8. I am hoping to install Debian on a separate partition, but so far the systems hangs after booting from the Debian CD. Is this installation even plausible? Thanks!

System:
    HP p2-1310
    x64-based processor
    AMD E2-1800 APU 1.7 GHz
    Radeon HD Graphics
    Memory:4.00 GB
    HD: 212 GB free on new partition

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If it has secure (or more properly restricted) boot enabled in the bios / uefi then you'll probably need to turn that off first. I believe Debian Wheezy is OK with UEFI boot.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    I have the secure boot disabled, but your post prompted me to look at these settings again and I found that I needed to enable legacy support under the secure boot section in the BIOS. Without it, after the install DVD booted and I selected any install option, I would get a black screen and the system would hang. I will now plunge forward, but still not sure how it will act with two operating systems installed on different partitions. Thanks!

Linux Guru
    but still not sure how it will act with two operating systems installed on different partitions
    Better than installing both on the same partition which would overwrite the first with the second. It's possible to install numerous systems on the same drive on different partitions.

How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC

Just Joined!
    I have gotten through most of the installations process now, but at the end of the installation, about two thirds of the way through "gathering information for installation report" it hangs up and never finishes.

Also, I get an EFI partition not found notice, but I continue with the installation.
    Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I agree. I hope to be able to boot one or the other but not both. Is this possible? Thanks!

Linux Guru
    After booting the Debian CD, open a terminal and run this command and post it: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) to show your drive/partition structure.

I agree. I hope to be able to boot one or the other but not both. Is this possible? Thanks!
    Do you have a separate EFI partition? Not sure what the statement above refers to, having windows and Debian on the same computer? Yes it is possible.

Just Joined!
    I was responding to your previous (5 days ago), but out of order.

Windows disk management reports a 360MB EFI partition. Checking with the sudo fdisk -l command...

The sudo command is not supported. I am using a minimum install CD.
    Last edited by bgibbs; 07-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.