Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I am on desktop debian 7. After help with another thread, I finally got my source.list and installed adobe flash 11.2. Now, I still cannot view videos for AdBlock is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot view videos even after installing adobe flash 11.2

I am on desktop debian 7. After help with another thread, I finally got my source.list and installed adobe flash 11.2. Now, I still cannot view videos for AdBlock is preventing me from seeing any of them. I have only been on Linux system for 7 weeks now so any help is appreciated. I guess AdBlock came with the system installation but I don't understand how to figure it or the filters.

Linux Engineer
    Install google chrome and use that. It comes pre-packaged with flash, you won't have any problems.

Linux Guru
    Also. On bottom of the screen in Iceweael. Isn't there a ABP stop sign icon you can cliick that changes blocking permissions in Adblock for the page you are on?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If I install google chrome and is it in the resource.list; since I was told I can only install things from there-wouldn't AdBlock prevent my viewing videos in it too?

Just Joined!
    Yes found it. Guess I would have to unblock for every video I want to see then? Ok. Thanks.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It appears there is a long standing "bug" in Flash where it will not work in Linux on some older machines that don't support the sse2 extensions. Given the age of the "bug" and the apparent simplicity of the fix (changing a compile option) it would seem that Adobe really couldn't care less. If this is for YouTube videos then another alternative is to join the html5 trial and help bring an end to one of the worst technologies ever unleashed on to the Internet.

My personal opinion of Flash may have been made clear by this post!
    drl likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It appears there is a long standing "bug" in Flash where it will not work in Linux on some older machines that don't support the sse2 extensions. Given the age of the "bug" and the apparent simplicity of the fix (changing a compile option) it would seem that Adobe really couldn't care less. If this is for YouTube videos then another alternative is to join the html5 trial and help bring an end to one of the worst technologies ever unleashed on to the Internet.

My personal opinion of Flash may have been made clear by this post!
    Me to elija. I had to learn grease monkey and linterna magica plus gtk-youtube-viewer to get by on computers that
    would not support linux flash player. It is a bit too complicated though for vocaldix too handle yet though.

The html5 youtube joinup is one I do out of habit anymore. It does not hurt to join IMO.

Just Joined!
    Forget google chrome too. I tried it and installed it from synaptic package. "shockwave plug-in cannot load." It is at top of every page grrr.....

Just Joined!
    Boy, now I really do miss a windows computer! Thanks guys.

Linux Engineer
    Get chrome directly from google, you will have no problems. I have installed chrome on countless distros, flash just works out of the box, period.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast