Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone ! im new to linux and everything called server in general, just a home web devoloper taht needed his own server. Since i never used linux before i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ftp error 553 ?

Hey everyone ! im new to linux and everything called server in general, just a home web devoloper taht needed his own server.

Since i never used linux before i have used google as my friend I have followed howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-squeeze-debian-6.0-with-bind-dovecot-and-nginx-ispconfig-3]The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND, Dovecot & Nginx [ISPConfig 3] | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials guide and now im stuck, i cant access my sever from dreamweaver.

It can't create the files when i upload them to the server (get a FTP access deined 553 error, cant create file etc.) but when i press "test ftp" and dont fil up any root directory it says that its working until i try to upload files to the server,my guess all along has been to chown the web1 user ( my Uid in ispconf to ftp user) but it already is the owner of that file or that there is something wrong with pureftpd? (saw somewhere that pureftp should have a .conf file, but i dont have any just a file with other conf to mysql and so on) so i cant figure out why i cant get access. Since im using a my lan ip to connect from my comp. to server is that an isssue?

Dont know much about linux so please if u explain something, wright what i should do so i dont have to google all the commands

Been stuck with this for 3days and cant figure it out

Linux Guru
    Just a quick google of ftp error 553 shows that it is a permission denied error. Don't know what you mean by "fil up any root directory". You would need to check the permissions on the directories on the server where you are trying to upload files, also the owner:group and make sure you user is either the owner or a member of the group. You have your server set up and are trying to connect from another computer on the LAN, is that correct

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You have your server set up and are trying to connect from another computer on the LAN, is that correct
    correct!

yeah, ive tried every solution with chown i have set owner for the hole /var file to web1 and every file down to /var/www/clients/client0/web1 and still got acccses deined. The gid is client0 and web1 is a member of that group.

Other info that i think i could have done wrong:
    When i set ftp user i got 2 new accounts, default(the username for ftplogin) and web1(the uid)
    Should default be in the same group as web1 ? (client0)
    what does quotas do for me ?
    The owner should only have to be on the file /var/www/clients/client0/web1 to modeify and create.
    It doesnt have to be the owner of the /var/ file?
    Whrn i look at the properties tab on the web1 file it says (belongs to enseo(something not sure now coz not home)/ directory)

In dreamweaver where u set ftp, login and password there u can set Root directory and i leave that empty or else i get that premissson error.

hope you understand what my problem is, my english isnt the greatest
    Last edited by phille0; 08-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Linux Guru
    The owner for the /var/www directory for apache should be "www-data", sub-directories can have other users. Your users should be included in the www-data group.
    The link below is specific to installing apache on Debian, might help. I've never used ftp or Dreamweaver so I don't know how that would fit in.

11.2.*Web Server (HTTP)

Just Joined!
    i thought that nginx was the equvilant of apache ? and i do got a www-data user, so i should include www-data user in the client0 grp?

Linux Guru
    I missed the nginx part, my mistake. If the instructions at the site you used are giving you problems, you might try the nginx site below which explains configuring and using it in a pretty detailed fashion. Read especially the section under "Common Configuration Pitfalls". Hopefully this will provide better info:

Configuration

Just Joined!
    thank u friend you are a gentleman and a Scholer ! i will get back if i find my problem

Linux Guru
    Good luck and have fun with it.

Just Joined!
    The wierd think is that i can log in to my administrator account from dreamweaver as ftp path and upload to the /home/(admin)/ folder but when i log in with the ftp user id (default) that i made in ispconfig3 and try to upload to the /var/www/ folder, thats when i get the 553 error that i dont got permisson to make and delete files and when i look, root user is the owner of /var/www/clients/client0/web1 and when i try to chown web1 user to that folder it says that i can't.
    Last edited by phille0; 08-07-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Linux Guru
    The wierd think is that i can log in to my administrator account from dreamweaver as ftp path and upload to the /home/(admin)/ folder but when i log in with the ftp user id (default) that i made in ispconfig3 and try to upload to the /var/www/ folder, thats when i get the 553 error that i dont got permisson to make and delete files and when i look,
    If I am reading the above statement correctly, you are saying that you can log in to the administrator account on the server using dreamweaver but not when using ftp, is that correct? You might check the directories above 'web1' for permissons and also the group and see if your ftp user in in the group and what permissions are granted. I doubt I'll be much help here as I've never used ftp or dreamweaver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast