Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just watched an older show of Cat5TV and Robbie was talking with the guy that came up with Point Linux while he installed it on his Virtual Box. Looks like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Point Linux looks interesting.

Just watched an older show of Cat5TV and Robbie was talking with the guy that came up with Point Linux while he installed it on his Virtual Box. Looks like a pretty interesting Distro, great for all those folks who miss their Gnome2 shell. It comes with a MATE desktop(which I really like) and you can download just the Core so it'll fit onto a CD for those machines that don't have a DVD drive then you can download all the little extras OR you can get the Full Version and have all the extras if you can use a DVD to install.
    I know I've been Distro Hopping a bit lately and I'm really happy with Elementary OS Luna right now but I'm going to download the Core of PL to keep on hand. Anyway, just wanted to share. Talk to ya'll later.

Linux User
    WTF? Does anyone compile from source these days?

Looks to me like the majority of popular Distros are all Debian based through the Ubuntu path. We've got Debian-Ubuntu-Mint, Debian-Ubuntu-Elementary OS Luna and now Debian-Ubuntu-Point. I'm really thinking about giving Point a try since I have to install the extras I like with 99% of the other Distros anyway. May as well start with a Distro that Core and install from there to keep all the extra stuff I'll not use off of the system.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    WTF? Does anyone compile from source these days?
    I don't have the patience to compile an entire distro from source having tried Crux, FreeBSD and Gentoo. I do compile the occasional piece of software if I need it though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I was going to install Point Linux Core today but it coudn't find my WiFi. If a Distro can't find my WiFi right off then I won't bother with it becuse it can be a royal pain to get WiFi working if the Distro doesn't "see" it. From what I saw though it looked interesting, a lot like Mint 15 MATE, of course Point is running the MATE desktop so that's probably why, LOL.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    If a Distro can't find my WiFi right off then I won't bother with it becuse it can be a royal pain to get WiFi working if the Distro doesn't "see" it.
    I know what you mean. I'm often the same way; it's nothing against the distro, it's just that time is valuable (especially during the school year).

I just ordered a refurbished asus laptop for $230, and I'm hoping that it is more linux-friendly than my current laptop (which needs to use fwcutter and ndiswrapper in order to use the proprietary drivers).

I did download and burn the full Distro to DVD and it found my WiFi so they just must not include many drivers on the Core version. Still, that being said, it really doesn't look any different from Mint 15 MATE that I'm running now which makes sense since they both use the MATE desktop. I'm just going to stick with Mint 15 MATE. It does what I want it to do so why change? Besides, I've done enough Distro Hopping for now, need to settle in with one and stick with it for a while. Ubuntu 12.04LTS seems to make my wife happy on her laptop, it's easy point and click stuff and since she's not "into" computers it's simpler for her to use. This is what I love about Linux, there's so many different version that you can find something to fit just about anyone's skill level or needs.

I went a head and installed the full version of Point Linux OS on an extra nc6400 that I have sitting around. Install is a bit different then Mint since it doesn't use the Ubuntu installer so I had to figure out where to put grub(sda and NOT sda1, LOL) but after that I'd up and running and looks pretty good. Classic Gome2/MATE desktop that I really like and it only takes about 165MB of RAM for the desktop, pretty good actually. I think I'm going to like it. Might switch over entirely after Mint15 goes belly up in a few more months. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a decent Distro Point Linux OS is pretty nice IMHO.