Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, This is my first post in this forum. I'm not 100% sure if that's the right place to ask my question. In the next few months, i've planned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Debian Home Server Virtualization Solution

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum. I'm not 100% sure if that's the right place to ask my question. In the next few months, i've planned to set up an Home Server environment, with the following components:

ALIX Board (IPfire Linux Firewall)
    Raspberry Pi (Raspian)
    Server (Debian Host System for VM's)

For all my services (samba, ftp, apache, mysql, xbmc, irc...)
    i decided to use diffrent VM's. My Question is now how would you realize that?

I worked a bit with:

VMware Workstation
    VMware ESXi
    Citrix XenServer
    Oracle VirtualBox
    Xen Cloud Platform

The fact that i want to use debian and not a baremetal-hypervisor makes it a bit more complicated. I thought about getting into KVM/QEMU but i've no Idea what that is...

Could you give me some more Keywords pls?
    Are there any alternatives to the ones i mentioned above?

thank you!

Xaii

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Using a VM for this stuff isn't a bad idea, but I would use just one, or at most 2, VMs for this load. Remember, the VM is a full "computer", and has the same memory and cpu requirements as a hardware one would. Too many VMs will overload the host which has to share cpu and ram resources with the virtual machines.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Using a VM for this stuff isn't a bad idea, but I would use just one, or at most 2, VMs for this load. Remember, the VM is a full "computer", and has the same memory and cpu requirements as a hardware one would. Too many VMs will overload the host which has to share cpu and ram resources with the virtual machines.
    I totaly agree with that...
    I thought about making bundles.
    Like that:

VM1 FTP/Samba/IRC 24/7 up
    VM2 Apache/MySQL
    VM3 XBMC

I do all the back ups on the physical host via samba or so...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the host is also a Linux system, then I would advise using NFS and not Samba for shares/backups, etc.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If the host is also a Linux system, then I would advise using NFS and not Samba for shares/backups, etc.

Thank you sir, i'm gonna try that!

QEMU is just another hyper visor for Virtual Machines like Virtualbox, VMware and some of the others you have used.

KVM actually has two meanings:
    1. Basically allows you to control multiple computers from one or more input devices (i.e. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor). You could use it (KVM) but a hardware version can be expensive especially if you want something half decent.

2. Is a kernel based virtual machine. Which is most likely the one you are referring too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    QEMU is just another hyper visor for Virtual Machines like Virtualbox, VMware and some of the others you have used.

KVM actually has two meanings:
    1. Basically allows you to control multiple computers from one or more input devices (i.e. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor). You could use it (KVM) but a hardware version can be expensive especially if you want something half decent.

2. Is a kernel based virtual machine. Which is most likely the one you are referring too.
    All right! Thank you for the information

Just Joined!
    How would you guys do the backups?

NFS, Samba, Shared Folders, FTP?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaii View Post
    How would you guys do the backups?

NFS, Samba, Shared Folders, FTP?
    For a backup server running Linux, I would use NFS and rsync for Linux/Unix clients or other servers, and Samba w/ shared folders for Windows clients. There is no reason you can't use both on a Linux backup server.