Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am currently running Debian Unstable but having recently had problems with Xorg and the starting of the desktop. At first i thought it was an issue at kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xorg-Server Error Failing to start

Hey,
    I am currently running Debian Unstable but having recently had problems with Xorg and the starting of the desktop.

At first i thought it was an issue at kernel level as i was able to boot fine into the desktop under the linux kernel 3.10.3 with no xorg-server error message but was unable to do the same after i had updated the kernel to 3.10.5 (i think it is). This as proved to be wrong as i now cannot load the desktop under either kernel.

Which has led me onto thinking the graphics card driver might be the issue. I am running the proprietry nvidia driver that is listed in Debian's repos for unstable (304.108, i believe). Although i have tried re-installing the driver it has made no difference. Also when i refer to the logs or the error message it does not indicate that the graphics card is the cause of the problem.

This leads me to believe the problem solely lies in xorg and so this is where i am stuck. I haven't tried uninstalling the nvidia driver altogether and installing the one of nvidia's website, but something tells me it won't make a difference.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

The problem is not urgent as i can boot into Windows or my other Linux Distro, but it is an inconvience. I would much rather fix the issue than resort to a full re-installation if possible.

SL6-A1000

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Sometimes comparisons help. Here is a synopsis of a system I use in a VM. It uses sid via the distribution aptosid. It has no trouble with X:
    Code:
    $ inxi -b -c0
    System:    Host: vm-aptosid Kernel: 3.11-1.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) 
               Console: tty 0 Distro: aptosid 2013-01 Ἑσπερίδες - kde-lite - (201305050307)
    Machine:   System: innotek product: VirtualBox version: 1.2
               Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: innotek version: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
    CPU:       Single core Intel Xeon CPU E31230 (-UP-) clocked at 3185.503 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter 
               X.org: 1.12.4 drivers: vesa (unloaded: fbdev) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
    Network:   Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000 
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 21.5GB (16.2% used)
    Info:      Processes: 111 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 296.2/2008.7MB Runlevel: 5 Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.14
    Good luck ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Hey,
    I am currently running Debian Unstable but having recently had problems with Xorg and the starting of the desktop.

At first i thought it was an issue at kernel level as i was able to boot fine into the desktop under the linux kernel 3.10.3 with no xorg-server error message but was unable to do the same after i had updated the kernel to 3.10.5 (i think it is). This as proved to be wrong as i now cannot load the desktop under either kernel.

Which has led me onto thinking the graphics card driver might be the issue. I am running the proprietry nvidia driver that is listed in Debian's repos for unstable (304.108, i believe). Although i have tried re-installing the driver it has made no difference. Also when i refer to the logs or the error message it does not indicate that the graphics card is the cause of the problem.

This leads me to believe the problem solely lies in xorg and so this is where i am stuck. I haven't tried uninstalling the nvidia driver altogether and installing the one of nvidia's website, but something tells me it won't make a difference.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

The problem is not urgent as i can boot into Windows or my other Linux Distro, but it is an inconvience. I would much rather fix the issue than resort to a full re-installation if possible.

SL6-A1000
    1. install nvidia driver i've 304.88 and works good
    and perform following steps,

It seems you need to
    1. run nvidia-xconfig as root

2. Post generated xorg file here that may be located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    USE THIS:-
    # sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    copy the file content and post here
    and that will help me to understand what going on their.

3. restart the gdm3 or simply reboot

In case anything goes wrong,

remove generated xorg.conf file by this command as root,
    #sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    #reboot

HOPE THIS HELPED

Quote Originally Posted by tousif View Post
    1. install nvidia driver i've 304.88 and works good
    and perform following steps,

It seems you need to
    1. run nvidia-xconfig as root

2. Post generated xorg file here that may be located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    USE THIS:-
    # sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    copy the file content and post here
    and that will help me to understand what going on their.

3. restart the gdm3 or simply reboot

In case anything goes wrong,

remove generated xorg.conf file by this command as root,
    #sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    #reboot

HOPE THIS HELPED
    Thanks i tried this, it helped as in wasn't giving me the message xorg has failed to start, but still was coming up with an error whenever i typed "startx".

I fixed the problem by simply re-installing, thankfully because i run a seperate home partition i didn't loose everything i had configured and saved.

Although I did look into the log files before i reinstalled and it was related to the nvidia card and xorg files were missing for both, weird...!

Another interesting note is during the process of upgrading from Testing (Jessie) to Unstable (Sid), i used apt-get autoremove, and the package manager decided to remove some of the critical/ current xorg files not just the older version. This might have been the cause for my original problem.

Just Joined!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Thanks i tried this, it helped as in wasn't giving me the message xorg has failed to start, but still was coming up with an error whenever i typed "startx".

I fixed the problem by simply re-installing, thankfully because i run a seperate home partition i didn't loose everything i had configured and saved.

Although I did look into the log files before i reinstalled and it was related to the nvidia card and xorg files were missing for both, weird...!

Another interesting note is during the process of upgrading from Testing (Jessie) to Unstable (Sid), i used apt-get autoremove, and the package manager decided to remove some of the critical/ current xorg files not just the older version. This might have been the cause for my original problem.
    i'm using debian wheezy amd64,try this....it's better

tip-1:-
    what error messages are displayed while booting debian unstable note them all, don't do this hard & fast take your time, note down each error and post it here,

tip-2
    don't try "startx", try "/etc/init.d/gdm3 start"
    As far as i know "xorg.conf" file will allow xorg to identify your graphics hardware if you find "xorg.conf" blank than probably you need to try tip-1 that will be best way identify your problem because they may be inter related.

Good luck