Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to do an automated deployment of Debian 7.1. From what I've found online so far, it seems like Debian uses preseed for automated deployments but I thought I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian with Kickstart?

I'm trying to do an automated deployment of Debian 7.1. From what I've found online so far, it seems like Debian uses preseed for automated deployments but I thought I also read somewhere that it could also use kickstart, its just more limited on what it can do.

My question is can Debian 7.1 be deployed over the network with kickstart? My isolinux.cfg file has the following in it: auto=true url=myserver/answer/jr-deb7.cfg

When the installer loads I get an error saying "Failed to process the preconfiguration file"

My kickstart file (jr-deb7.cfg) works fine doing a network kickstart deployment of Ubuntu and RedHat, and I'm trying to get it working with Debian.

Any suggestions on how I can get this working or do I need to use preseed for Debian? I have a server that generates kickstart files for deployments and I don't want to also configure it for preseed if I can avoid it and just use kickstart for Debian.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    I don't think you can use kickstart with Debian.

Just Joined!
    try pxeboot with tftp for debian
    as per my knowledge kickstart wouldnt work