Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, i have one question what i cant find here: I want/need upgrade my production server from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy ( 6 -> 7) but, because its a production, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Upgrade of production server

Greetings, i have one question what i cant find here:

I want/need upgrade my production server from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy ( 6 -> 7) but, because its a production, i'm little afraid of that.

My problems and probably solution, but im not sure:

1) I have three identical servers (Production, Test1 and Test2), each server have own fixed IP and on production, there is a few services fixed on that IP so

My idea is - I can do anything with Test2 upgrade, etc... Have anyone please experiences with upgrade server and after that migrating it on other machine?

2) Why i imagining this solution - i can technicaly upgrade Test2 server, make a "clone" of production data and migrate all the system on production server.

Is that possible, or anyone have better idea?

Tywm

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Upgrade one of the test machines, clone the data, test its functionality. Once it passes acceptance tests you can swap production and test machine IP addresses and host names and then either restart the network services on both machines, or reboot them. What was production is now the test system, and vice-versa. Anyway, I am assuming that the machines are identically configured from a hardware perspective (CPUs, memory, storage, speed, etc).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    yes, machines is totaly identical, but there is problem with IP swap. I need IP adresses as is. prod. XXX.XXX.XXX.86, Test1 XXX...87, Test2...88

So, after upgrade Test2, clone data and tests, I need somehow ... "migrate?" And the servers are really identicaly - same model etc... (Dell R2 210) from same manufacturer series

I think... Can I switch hard drives?