Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonathan183
I've played around with a few Debian variants like Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Mint 15 MATE and currently Point Linux with is "pure" Debian with a MATE desktop but after doing an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pure Debian 7.1 looks kind of cool.

I've played around with a few Debian variants like Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Mint 15 MATE and currently Point Linux with is "pure" Debian with a MATE desktop but after doing an install of Debian 7.1 (NetInstall version so it'd fit onto a CD) I kind of think the stock desktop looks kind of cool. It's kind of "Ubuntuish" in that you have a dock on the left side of the desktop but you can also pull up(or down) all your apps that are installed as well so you can see what you have.
    Only thing I really don't care for much is not having any left or right click on the desktop to create folders but I'm sure there's a work around for that if I look for it.
    Other then that going Pure Debian 7.1 Wheezy may not be such a bad thing IMHO. Anyone else running Pure Debian without any other desktops or anything?

I usually have a quick look at the default desktop environment and then switch to IceWM. I have started this on other systems when I install for other people also, KDE 4 was a mess & so was Gnome 3 - IceWM is always the same. Which is good for novice users as well ... they only get used to one system. The initial menu setup, toolbar and wallpaper are a bit more involved but you only really need to set them up once. It's consistent across distros and releases ...
    jayd512 likes this.

WiFi was a bit of a pain until I found this link:
    Debian -- Package Download Selection -- firmware-iwlwifi_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb
    opened it with package installer and there was my firmware so wifi set up easy as anything else. I like the dock AND having the ability to see all installed software although I do think it looks a bit too Ubuntuish and once the "new" wares off I'll probably go back to Point Linux on all my systems.

That's Gnome 3 Shell, which Ubuntu started using some time back, and now most of the major distros are using it. I bailed on it long ago, and use Xfce instead. You can use the fallback mode which looks somewhat like Gnome 2, but I don't like it. I don't expect to use Gnome again.

Regards,

Stan

Chris on the Linux Action Show was talking about Gnome 3.10 and how it's finally coming around to something more useable. He figures by 3.12 it'll be very decent. Personally, I like MATE which is basically kind of a revived Gnome 2 desktop but it is neat being able to pull down all of your apps to see what's there easily. Heck, I might just keep it on my #3 laptop just to play with and use Point Linux(Debian 7.1 at it's heart with MATE desktop) for my #1 and #2 since I like the drop down menus.
    Either way I guess I'm pretty much a "Debian Fan Boy" since that's really all I've used and what I'm use to. Can't really use Arch since I've only got 32 bit machines and they've got all 64 bit and Gentoo doesn't really appeal to me at all nor does Red Hat, Slackware or SuSE.

I've tried many distros, and I've pretty much settled on Debian. I'm used to it, and I like the way it works. The devs are good, and they've been doing it a long time. I run Sid, which, despite the name, is more stable than most distros. Ubuntu is based on Sid, and it works for me. The borkage I've had has been very temporary, and much less than on Testing, which I used before going to Unstable. Naming the branches Stable and Unstable was, IMO an unfortunate choice, but it's far too late to change anything. Stable here means not changing, not "not having occasional problems". All OSs have occasional problems, and they all hang now and then. All of them.

Regards,

Stan

So far Wheezy in both the Point Linux version and now in the Pure Debian version seems pretty stable. I guess we're both stuck in Debian World, LOL. but hey, as long as it works, that's all I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Can't really use Arch since I've only got 32 bit machines and they've got all 64 bit
    I use Arch on 32 bit systems ... it's not just 64 bit the install media is a hybrid image that does both

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've pretty much settled on Debian. I'm used to it, and I like the way it works.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183
    I usually have a quick look at the default desktop environment and then switch to IceWM. I have started this on other systems when I install for other people also... IceWM is always the same.
    I do the same except it's with Fluxbox and Rox-filer. I email my config files so I'll have a familiar desktop when working on their system.