Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installed Debian 7.1 "Wheezy" and it has Gnome 3.4, I'd like to upgrade to Gnome 3.10 if I can. I gave the sudo add-apt-repository deal a try but it can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How can I upgrade to Gnome 3.10?

Installed Debian 7.1 "Wheezy" and it has Gnome 3.4, I'd like to upgrade to Gnome 3.10 if I can. I gave the sudo add-apt-repository deal a try but it can't find or fails to load many of the packages so how can I get Gnome 3.10 loaded so I can upgrade? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Try this, it's known to work in Ubuntu and I see no reason why it wouldn't work in Debian:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
    then update the repositories (sudo apt-get update) and install using

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop3

Tried that and it and I get "failure to upload package". I wonder if their Repo is down at the moment? Might try again later on, don't see why I can do something similar to "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade Gnome.

Just Joined!
    It could be down. I don't think you will do it with a dist-upgrade because as far as I'm aware (and correct me if I'm wrong) Gnome 3.10 has not been officially released yet and is still in the experimental stages, so wouldn't be in the standard repositories hence why you needed to add the above one.

I know I won't do it with a "dist-upgrade" because that'll just upgrade Debian 7.1 to it's latest incarnation and not effect Gnome at all. I was just asking if there was a similar command that would upgrade the Gnome 3.4 that I already have to it's latest version.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Unlikely I'm afraid. Debian tends to not have cutting edge software. It looks like 3.8 has only just made the experimental repositories!

You could have a go at compiling it yourself which is fun.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I wonder how Chris over at the Linux Action Show got a hold of Gnome 3.10 and from the Arch Repo no less? So I guess they're just running with Gnome 3.4 for now because it's the "stable" one and they'll get us the newer versions at a later date. Not that it's a huge deal, I'm running MATE on my Point Linux installs on my #1 and #2 and just wanted to update Gnome on my #3 that's running Debian 7.1. Guess I'll just have to be happy with what I have for now.