Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Index of /debian-cd/7.1.0/i386/iso-dvd Looking at this if I want to burn Debian 7.1 to a DVD to load onto a machine I'll need 3 of them plus 1 for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Debian 7.1, why does it take 3 DVD's??

Index of /debian-cd/7.1.0/i386/iso-dvd
    Looking at this if I want to burn Debian 7.1 to a DVD to load onto a machine I'll need 3 of them plus 1 for the updates, why is that? My Point Linux Distro which is based on Debian 7.1 only needed one DVD for the Debian core and the MATE desktop environment. What am I missing here?

Trusted Penguin
    i think the 3 DVD set is meant to represent the majority of the official Debian distro. I.e, it has *way* more than the average user needs. If Debian follows the convention of other Linux distros, you likely only need the first DVD in order to install a "standard" Desktop install.

I've never set Debian up from DVDs before though, so I'm not positive how the installer works. I'd be surprised if you couldn't list network sources during the install, though, even if booting off of, and initially installing from DVD.
    Last edited by atreyu; 10-08-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i think the 3 DVD set is meant to represent the majority of the official Debian distro. I.e, it has *way* more than the average users needs.
    Indeed. From my understanding, the extra discs include most of the software that can be found in the online repos. This allows for folks with flaky or limited internet connections to install any desired software.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

What am I missing here?
    That not everyone that uses linux lives in the USA or other first world countries and need the 3 disks for no internet access.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Ahh, ok, so they're basically putting their entire Repo on disc for folks that might not have interweb connections. Got it. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Probabably because of all the software.
    Get a netinist iso for a minimum install.
    But if you do CONNECT THE ETHERNET!

125x125.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    That not everyone that uses linux lives in the USA or other first world countries and need the 3 disks for no internet access.
    Of course after looking at that statement it totally makes zero sense, LOL. If you're going to DOWNLOAD all 3 disks(plus the 4th for upgrades) then obviously you DO HAVE interweb connection so you could do the NetInstall or just download the 1st DVD and go from there.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You can get them the old fashioned way
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Of course after looking at that statement it totally makes zero sense, LOL. If you're going to DOWNLOAD all 3 disks(plus the 4th for upgrades) then obviously you DO HAVE interweb connection so you could do the NetInstall or just download the 1st DVD and go from there.
    said like a true redneck from the hills of Tenn. (edit: I feel comfy saying that being a redneck biker from the deserts of Texas so
    don't take offense. I mean that affectionately.)

I have internet access. Some kids I know parents don't. The kids want to buy a old computer from me like a IBM a22m laptop. I download all the cds and burn them. I install all of that on the hard drive. I sell the old laptop for 25 bucks with the cds included. Win Win.

Lot's of Barrios down here with no running water or no internet connection.
    But kids be curious and broke as hell.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

No offense taken by calling me a Redneck, I'm proud to be one and wouldn't have it any other way.
    I guess they could download them at school or other place that has interweb access then take them home to install but for me having a computer is about 99% interweb access. If I didn't have the interweb then I'd just as soon not even own a computer because all I do is on the web.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast