Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I know that hardware isn't really what this site is about, but I need help with something that only dedicated Linux users are all-too familiar with. After a voluntary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot boot from USB

Ok, I know that hardware isn't really what this site is about, but I need help with something that only dedicated Linux users are all-too familiar with.

After a voluntary hiatus from owning a computer, I have purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop (basic computer, no hating please).

This laptop has the great Evil that is Windows 8 [Spits]

I was dumbfounded to learn it does NOT have default support for booting from usb (I think, I could be wrong). Anyway I am currently going to attempt to update the bios, if possible.

To be perfectly honest the main problem right now is that 2 different versions of Unetbootin, and the dd command on my dads linuxbox don't actually install Crunchbang (FTW) onto the USB, and I have no idea whats going on.

This thing has legacy mode, and UEFI something or other, and I don't know what any of this new crap is.

Help Please!?

Thanks in advanced.

Linux Guru
    If you purchased this computer new and it had windows 8 pre-installed, then it likely has something called 'Secure Boot' which you can access and will need to disable in the BIOS and possibly enable 'Legacy Boot'. If it is a new computer, it should have the ability/option to boot from a usb.
    Did you use the windows version of unetbootin on your windows 8 and the Linux version on your dads computer? Did you get any warning/error messages while using unetbootin and if so what were they?

Just Joined!
    I used the newest Windows version and 393 under windows 8, I did not use unetbootin under Linux. I did not get any error messages, other than Unetbootin completing the task in 2 seconds. I have a 740mb ISO to write, so that can't be right.

I have played around with the Legacy boot/Secure boot, I am not too sure about it atm...

Windows 8 gives me an option to use a USB or DVD recovery when I shutdown...but the Bios/UEFI throws an error saying that USB is not supported. Is that because of the mode it is in? As opposed to: I need to update it in order for it to recognize the USB.

UEFI and Secure Boot are spawned form Satan, I refuse to buy any new laptop that has this crap or Windows 8 on it.
    That being said, there should be a key you can press at start up(normally the "esc" key) that will allow you to choose the boot device that you want. Also, 2 seconds does seem pretty fast to "burn" the iso live to USB. Something just isn't right there. If I were you I'd hit EvilBay and pick up an older pre-UEFI laptop to play around with Linux on, you can normally get em' for anywhere from $50-$150 depending on how "new" you'd want to go but I find that my $60/each HP nc6400's run Point Linux 2.2 pretty well and I didn't have all that UEFI or Secure Boot crap to stop me from installing my favorite Distro.
    Hope ya' get it sorted out, good luck, you'll need it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, there is a work around I found on the Crunchbang forums, but I'm "Crunching" and "Banging" my head on the desk yelling "I hate you UEFI/MICROSOFT"

One thing at a time I guess.

Linux Guru
    Creating a bootable flash drive with unetbootin in 2 seconds is a sure sign it was unsuccessful. I've not had problems using unetbootin but I don't use windows unetbootin or windows 8 except when I had it in VirtualBox. I would suggest you google to see if you can find some tutorials going step-by-step using unetbootin or posting each step you took and the results.

On a computer that new with windows 8, you need to search the BIOS thoroughly as there should be an option to disable Secure Boot.

Just Joined!
    That did the trick. All i needed to do was turn Legacy boot on, and Secure boot off. Now it works normally. This thread is SOLVED