Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 with Win 8. I wanted to switch back to Crunchbang, so I used my USB, Unetbootin, and an ISO to make a bootable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovering Files from External Hard Drive

So I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 with Win 8. I wanted to switch back to Crunchbang, so I used my USB, Unetbootin, and an ISO to make a bootable USB.

Here's the problem. At some point, I accidentally told Unetbootin to write onto my dad's external 500 Gb Seagate. I noticed this when I tried to get a debian ISO I had backed up on it, only to discover this:

Screenshot - 10192013 - 02:32:07 PM.jpg
    Ok so the screenshot isnt doing any good...

This is all I can see on the Drive:
    The Folders:
    .disk
    debian
    dists
    firmware
    install
    isolinux
    live
    pool
    The File:
    SHA256SUMS

And it says "Crunchbang" on the left hand side rather than "Seagate"

I'm not an expert on what "exact" files a Crunchbang ISO is supposed to have, but I think thats it.

I used TestDisk to analyse the drive, and it said that the partition was too small. 500 Gb / 465 Gb or something like that.

My hope is: that Unetbootin created another partition and its the only one that registers for some reason.

I know with 99.99 % confidence, I did NOT format the drive before running Unetbootin, because I would have to have seen:

A) a visual graphic differenciating the external hard drive and the USB

or

B) the Format window under Windows show the size in Gb, and I ALWAYS check to make sure its the 16 Gb USB and nothing else.

Other than running TestDisk, I haven't done anything to the drive. Any help that is possible is appreciated.
    Last edited by LDC2357; 10-19-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: screenshot was low res

Linux Guru
    If Crunchband is a Debian derivative, the files you list above would be the ones expected on a loop mount iso file or system on a flash drive. When you open unetbootin, to the right of drive it should show the flash drive/partition. However, it will also list all of the partitions on another usb hard drive or flash drive so you need to select the correct one. With the 500GB external Seagate attached, boot your system and run the command: df -h. It should show all partitions and there sizes as well as used. You may have overwritten the first part of the Seagate. What happened when you ran TestDisk?

Just Joined!
    Code:
    ldc@crunchbang:~$ df -h
    Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                                                  447G   25G  400G   6% /
    udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                                                   587M  692K  586M   1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/e820edeb-8076-4ddf-8109-8ed04af11c90  447G   25G  400G   6% /
    tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs                                                   3.5G   84K  3.5G   1% /run/shm
    /dev/sdc1                                                15G  4.5G   11G  30% /media/0373-7450
    /dev/sdd1                                               739M  739M     0 100% /media/CrunchBang
    TestDisk said that 1) the partition was too small, like it couldn't find all of the drive or something, 500Gb/460Gb. 2) that it had an invalid file structure 3) and I noticed this before but failed to mention, in the df -h output, /dev/sdd1 is the Seagate, but it registers has having only 739Mb. /dev/sdc1 is my 16 Gb USB.
    Last edited by LDC2357; 10-19-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fixed code spacing

Linux Guru
    So sdd1 would seem to be the created Crunchbang Live CD you were trying to install to your flash. What was on the Seagate previously as far as an operating system, number of partitions. I expect that what happend is Crunchbang was installed at the beginning of the Seagate and most of your data is still there, it's just the problem of determining how to acccess it. Crunchbang has overwritten the mbr I imagine. You could boot again with the Seagate attached and run fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) as root to get more partition information as df -h only shows mounted partitions. If you have other partitions besides sdd1, you should be able to create a mount point, mount the partition and get data off it.

Just Joined!
    My dad had about 30 gigs or so of old family pictures, excel spreadsheets, and other misc stuff of his, some of which is important. I'm hoping 30 gigs out of 500, maybe we have a narrow miss here.

Code:
    ldc@ldc-Inspiron-3521:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc
    [sudo] password for ldc: 

Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107861504 bytes
    64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 476940 cylinders, total 976773167 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x4ed6f18f

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdc1   *           0     1513471      756736   17  Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    'm not too sure what to think about this, I cant seem to get my file manager/ DE to register it now (I just switched from Crunchbang to Kubuntu), but before testdisk said it had a 740 Mb partition, now fdisk says it has one continuous partition which is hidden(?).
    Last edited by LDC2357; 10-21-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: need to add more info

Linux User
    you ran fdisk on the wrong hdd , should be sdd not sdc. Do you know if hdd was formated with the old MBR data or the new EFI data ? IF you do not know, might help to determine , was the hdd formated with the current Win8 system or an older OS?

Just Joined!
    it is the same, I plugged it back in a different port or something like that and it reassigned the variables...What MBR are you asking about? The Hard drive? because that does have the UEFI stuff, but its turned off now. My laptop was originally Win8. As far as the external, it was formatted/setup on windows xp.