Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a web camera which works on LXLE laptop. However when I plug it into another running Debian Wheezy, nothing, device is not recognized, Am I missing the obvious? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Webcam not recognized on debian 7

I have a web camera which works on LXLE laptop. However when I plug it into another running Debian Wheezy, nothing, device is not recognized, Am I missing the obvious? Surely if its recognized by LXLE then Debian should pick it up. Advice appreciated as have nearly gone loola trying to get it to work and have considered taking a hammer to it
    From the laptop with LXLE this is the camera-
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 090c:71b3 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.)

Just Joined!
    meant to say lsub does not detect camera, to further torture(tease) myself i tried webcam on a centos machine, it was plug and play!

Linux Newbie
    Check to see if these pkgs are installed:

firmware-linux (pulls in free and nonfree firmware)
    amd64-microcode *OR* intel-microcode, whichever is appropriate
    guvcview (a GUI utility for UVC webcams)

reboot, then see if lsusb and/or guvcview can read/access the webcam

Just Joined!
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, before I followed your instructions I tried using the usb ports (which I suppose I should have from the start) at the rear of the desktop and am pleased to report that webcam is now working BUT..... will only be detected and work from the rear usb ports.
    I then installed what you suggested but no joy! still when plugged into a front usb port its not picked up, Hey I can live with that, but I can't for the life of me explain the reason for this as all my other devices work fine from the front usb ports. Very impressed with guvcview by the way!
    Last edited by tomahawk; 11-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.