Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason if I run "sudo apt-get autoremove" more then just the undependent packages get removed. Everything starts getting "eaten" by the autoremove command and my system totally gets ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Apt-get autoremove eating my system.

For some reason if I run "sudo apt-get autoremove" more then just the undependent packages get removed. Everything starts getting "eaten" by the autoremove command and my system totally gets borked. So what gives, is this a bug or glitch in Debian 7.2 or something??

Linux Newbie
    Nope, it's not a bug or a glitch. Dunno exactly what you're looking to do but you might check the deborphan pkg.

I'm wanting to clean up any "left over" packages after I remove something. I was lead to believe that autoremove would do that for me. Am I wrong in thinking that?

It will do that, and more. It's not as intelligent as it should be. The only time I use it is when apt-get specifically tells me that packages are no longer required, and I read the list of packages that it proposes to autoremove. Sometimes it wants to remove too much. You have to use some judgement with autoremove, as you do with anything else.

Linux Newbie
    Package: deborphan

program that can find unused packages, e.g. libraries

Deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system. It determines which packages have no other packages depending on their installation and shows you a list of these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries, but it can be used on packages in all sections.

This package also includes orphaner, a text menu frontend to deborphan. Please install the recommended packages dialog, gettext-base and apt when you want a working and fully featured orphaner.

Similar packages:

gtkorphan
    Package: gtkorphan

A graphical tool to find and remove orphaned libraries

GtkOrphan is a graphical tool which scans your Debian system, looking for orphaned libraries. It implements a GUI front-end to deborphan, but adds the package removal capability. A detailed documentation on the program can be found at: GtkOrphan.
    An option when removing a package is to use 'purge' in the command... it deletes the associated config files.

Banned
    work for me not probleme