Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know where I can find a nice tutorial. I'd like to try using it as a means of trying out other os's but, from the snippets that I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I use KVM?

Anyone know where I can find a nice tutorial. I'd like to try using it as a means of trying out other os's but, from the snippets that I can find online, I haven't the foggiest how to go about setting up and using the virtual machines..

Here's some links for KVM that can help you.

HOWTO - KVM

KVM is mainly a command line driven so can intimadating for some. If you want a GUI tool VirtualBox is very easy to get going and create VMs.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-11-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: update

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Here's some links for KVM that can help you.

HOWTO - KVM

KVM is mainly a command line driven so can intimadating for some. If you want a GUI tool VirtualBox is very easy to get going and create VMs.
    Thank you, docbop, I'll look into VirtualBox. I blindly installed kvm before I knew that it would be difficult to use. I had previously looked at that howto and got confused(more).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I agree with docbop. I have used a number of virtual machine managers, including KVM, and docbop is quite right about the difficulty in using it. It is GREAT for production virtual machines in a server farm, but for personal use, VirtualBox has a lot going for it.

1. It is free.
    2. It is reliable - I use it hosted on both Windows and Linux and have had ZERO problems after 6 years of constant, daily use. I even used it to develop Solaris device drivers! I installed it on my attorney's Mac to run XP, and he has had fewer problems with it than Parallels.
    3. It is pretty easy to use, and then see #1 and #2...
    4. It also works on OSX (see #2), so if you have an Apple, you are covered.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!