Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, Cannot resume my Debian wheezy netbook (Samsung 350U) from hibernation. All I have now is a piece of hardvare with black screen and blinking cursor. Cannot boot live ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot resume Debian wheezy from hibernate

Hi there,
    Cannot resume my Debian wheezy netbook (Samsung 350U) from hibernation.
    All I have now is a piece of hardvare with black screen and blinking cursor. Cannot boot live USB either (no CD).
    Any help is VERY appreciated.
    I.

Linux Engineer
    Sadly, the power management for most laptops doesn't work properly with Linux. The answer is not to turn it on. A search on 'debian laptop power management' will give you lots of things to try. Personally,I bought a lenovo T510 since they do work properly as do some of the other lenovo's.

Anyway, to your problem, are you saying you can't boot your system? The pm problem shouldn't keep you from being able to boot. If your computer won't shut down then you can unplug it from the wall and remove the battery. Wait a couple of minutes and put it back together and boot the computer. If you are saying it boots but all you get is a blinking cursor then you need to get to the boot loader to try loading safe mode or a lower run level - depending on what is available. If your boot loader is grub, holding the shift key during boot should take you to the boot loader.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for helping.
    Unfortunately I cannot get to the boot loader. All I have is black screen and blinking cursor. I removed battery for an hour but nothing.
    For some unknown reason I cannot boot .iso from USB (bios supports that) right after bios in order to format C or overwrite existing OS. Any ideas?
    Again thank you.

No bios screen? F10 key should maybe get you into bios to make a change for usb boot first. Sounds more hardware related than software related though ,because Debian should boot OK after pulling battery and reseating it..

also just in case since I don't own your Samsung model. Mine is a RV510.

I actually got it to work. I had to disable "Secure Boot" which then let me change the bios mode to "Legacy BIOS". After selecting that and rebooting back into the BIOS, I had waaaay more boot priority options! =D

Everything works like a charm now!
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thank you for reply.
    Sure I have bios screen (can access with ESC key tough). I have set USB boot priority but for some reason it is not booting .iso image.
    Concerning battery removal I am not a geek but I believe that at going to hibernate Debian OS writed on HDD some resuming settings/order which I cannot overwrite/delete and release PC from this bug. So I think removing battery is not helpful (please comment if I am wrong whith this assumption).
    Any other ideas?
    I.

I have set USB boot priority but for some reason it is not booting .iso image.
    I have other computers so if me, I would test the usb on other computer first. Maybe a friend will let you?
    Hibernate after a shutdown and battery pull should not lock the hard drive out from booting.
    At least in my years of using Linux and computers. Maybe someone else knows what is going on with your gear.
    My Samsung is the bees knees running Mint 14. I only use the Windows partition for tuning motorcycles.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoIdeabian View Post
    Thank you for reply.
    Sure I have bios screen (can access with ESC key tough). I have set USB boot priority but for some reason it is not booting .iso image.
    Concerning battery removal I am not a geek but I believe that at going to hibernate Debian OS writed on HDD some resuming settings/order which I cannot overwrite/delete and release PC from this bug. So I think removing battery is not helpful (please comment if I am wrong whith this assumption).
    Any other ideas?
    I.
    Ordinarily I would expect the bios to post an error if there was no bootable image available before proceeding to sit in a loop but it is possible that it wouldn't. At this point I think it has nothing to do with hibernation. Does your bios include a memory test option? A hard drive test? At this point running diagnostics would make sense.