Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to run the dynebolic live dvd and after it boots there are 3 options, the first option is dynebolic III, the 2nd is safe mode and 3rd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems using Dynebolic 3.0.0

I am trying to run the dynebolic live dvd and after it boots there are 3 options,

the first option is dynebolic III, the 2nd is safe mode and 3rd is dynebolic volitile.

It wont let me boot the 1st option, it does try to boot though, the screen goes black but the dvd is still loading, so i waited a few min but nothing happened and the dvd stops running.

But i could boot from safe mode, i do have internet access but no videos will play. I am assuming it is because using in safe mode.

The 3rd option didnt really boot, it left me with a command line.

I even tried dynebolic 2.5.2, it boots fine but the mouse doesnt work, so i rebooted, pressed f2 for boot options and there's a hint at what to type in if mouse or keyboard isnt working properly but it didnt work out.

How do i get it to work? All i wanna do is access the internet, watch videos and/or listen to music.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
    Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/17/05 20:34:41 Ver: 08.00.09
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Memory: 1280MB RAM
    Page File: 802MB used, 2248MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Linux Guru
    The information on your Windows system isn't relevant - your hardware might be.

That the safe system booted is good but if you are running it off a DVD you won't be able to modify anything beyond temporary settings. I don't know anything dyne:bolic but if you need some drivers - or in the case of video to add flash maybe? - you won't be able to install it since you won't have any storage available.

Linux Guru
    Ah, I just read the wiki. Have you created a partition on your harddrive?

dyne:bolic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The users manual seems missing from their webpage.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    The information on your Windows system isn't relevant - your hardware might be.

That the safe system booted is good but if you are running it off a DVD you won't be able to modify anything beyond temporary settings. I don't know anything dyne:bolic but if you need some drivers - or in the case of video to add flash maybe? - you won't be able to install it since you won't have any storage available.
    The dynebolic majors in multi media and playing videos, meaning everything should play without any add ons.

Just Joined!
    Ah, I just read the wiki. Have you created a partition on your harddrive?

The users manual seems missing from their webpage.

I am trying to use the live version that doesnt even require a hard drive to operate.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen72 View Post
    I am trying to use the live version that doesnt even require a hard drive to operate.
    It will boot from the disk and operate from memory but you can't save any changes or additions. You may need drivers that aren't included. There hasn't been a version for a couple of years so there may be other updates that will help. Some software isn't ever automatically included with Linux - some codecs and plugins fit that description.

Just Joined!
    It will boot from the disk and operate from memory but you can't save any changes or additions. You may need drivers that aren't included. There hasn't been a version for a couple of years so there may be other updates that will help. Some software isn't ever automatically included with Linux - some codecs and plugins fit that description.
    I always also used to think we couldnt save anything on live cd's but earlier i tried out Linux Lite live and first of all you can watch videos and listen to music without adding anything but i was able to add an ad blocker plus to the thingy. I was shocked and did a little research and sure enough the RAM can save small amounts of info.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen72 View Post
    I always also used to think we couldnt save anything on live cd's but earlier i tried out Linux Lite live and first of all you can watch videos and listen to music without adding anything but i was able to add an ad blocker plus to the thingy. I was shocked and did a little research and sure enough the RAM can save small amounts of info.
    It is only "saved" until you reboot and limited to changes that can be made in memory. My point is if you want to modify the behavior as in add drivers, etc., you'll need to add a partition as per the instructions. It's probably a requirement for the first boot instance.

You say the third option left you with a command line? You might try running startx though I don't expect it will work any different then the 2nd option.

Just Joined!
    It is only "saved" until you reboot and limited to changes that can be made in memory. My point is if you want to modify the behavior as in add drivers, etc., you'll need to add a partition as per the instructions. It's probably a requirement for the first boot instance.

You say the third option left you with a command line? You might try running startx though I don't expect it will work any different then the 2nd option.
    In adding a partition i am assuming you mean install it? Well i am gonna try to run the live version on the laptop to see what happens. If the live cd runs great them maybe i'll try to install it and see what happens.

But as far as i know there isnt any need for a partition in live mode. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Linux Guru
    I don't mean to install it - the partition is for storage but the OS doesn't install - it runs from the cd. The link I posted earlier should explain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast