Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by tomahawk Thank you for your help, I have sorted the video card issue and done a fresh install of the system and everything now appears to running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Thank you for your help, I have sorted the video card issue and done a fresh install of the system and everything now appears to running a lot smoother. We'll see how it goes...
    Excellent! How did you resolve so others can benefit?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    Great!

When you get a spare moment, could you just post what it was you did that made things come together? It may help someone else in the future.

Cheers and good to hear that you are up and running.
    Hi, everything seems to point to the graphics card. my understanding is that this machine originally shipped for the business/office environment so in fairness it's to be understood that the card that shipped with the machine doesn't seem to like what gets thrown at it! An upgrade should improve things greatly! I did a clean install of Debian 64 bit ( I had been using 32) and we appear to be fine. (for now). Saying that as soon as I get a chance I intend to switch operations to a more friendly machine. I currently have Linux on another old dell 6400 laptop, and it flies!!! So I do think despite what some of "the Linux police" say, there are obviously some machines that will "work" better with linux than others, and there comes a point when the grief isn't worth it. I definitely would not have bought my current computer if I knew I was going to have gotten all that hassle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2