Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, on the offchance would anyone know if there are issues running Linux on a Dell Optiplex 780. I have experienced some difficulties. Computer has been physically checked. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues on Dell Optiplex 780

Hi, on the offchance would anyone know if there are issues running Linux on a Dell Optiplex 780.
    I have experienced some difficulties. Computer has been physically checked. I have wheezy installed gnome 3. Live os of Opensuse does not perform well either, and strangely Lubuntu won't even run. I'm not very techie so hoping someone may have had experiences with this particular model of dell

thanks for your time

the way you describe your problem, it could have a zillion reasons.
    provide us with sth to work with and we might be able to help!
    read this.
    generally i don't see why this computer would NOT run linux.

Just Joined!
    Hi, i should have made it clearer, I was wondering if if anyone had had experience of running Linux on specifically a Dell Optiplex 780. Although technically there appears to be no reason a system would not run, whether it runs satisfactorily is another matter. I have had several issues too many to go into great detail, but namely crashes freezes monitor issues all what you would call functionality issues. I don't want to be reinventing the wheel!
    As a lot of Dell hardware is built for Windows there’s probably some Dell hardware that isn’t going to work well with Linux no matter what tweaks and tugs are applied.
    Last edited by tomahawk; 02-06-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Have a look at some kernel options to use at boot time.

Although this is not so old a box, try things like "nomodeset" and "nopat" for instance. I had problems with an old box running nvidia graphic card that needed both these in order to run under a SuSE system.

most hardware was "built for windows" and is happily running linux, for decades already. that's the whole point of linux, really.
    have you even made web searches about your model? like "linux Dell Optiplex 780"?

actually, since you already have the box, it's been checked physically, and you are already running some linux on it, what's the point of asking?
    (hint: this is a rethorical question)

imo, your topic title suggests that you actually have an issue, instead you seem to be asking for an issue. duh.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    Have a look at some kernel options to use at boot time.

Although this is not so old a box, try things like "nomodeset" and "nopat" for instance. I had problems with an old box running nvidia graphic card that needed both these in order to run under a SuSE system.
    Thanks for that, you put me on the right path to a solution.
    Best wishes

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    most hardware was "built for windows" and is happily running linux, for decades already. that's the whole point of linux, really.
    have you even made web searches about your model? like "linux Dell Optiplex 780"?

actually, since you already have the box, it's been checked physically, and you are already running some linux on it, what's the point of asking?
    (hint: this is a rethorical question)

imo, your topic title suggests that you actually have an issue, instead you seem to be asking for an issue. duh.
    I would like you to stop commenting on my post,
    Thank you

I've installed Linux on some boxes from that series of Dells and have installed Linux on many Dells over the years. My question is are you trying to install a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Linux I'd try a 32-bit and see if that helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I've installed Linux on some boxes from that series of Dells and have installed Linux on many Dells over the years. My question is are you trying to install a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Linux I'd try a 32-bit and see if that helps.
    Thank you for your help, I have sorted the video card issue and done a fresh install of the system and everything now appears to running a lot smoother. We'll see how it goes...

Linux Newbie
    Great!

When you get a spare moment, could you just post what it was you did that made things come together? It may help someone else in the future.

Cheers and good to hear that you are up and running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast