Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good power management app for my Kali linux installs? Back in the day I was running Jupiter on my Ubuntu rigs then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Good power management app for Debian based OS?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good power management app for my Kali linux installs? Back in the day I was running Jupiter on my Ubuntu rigs then on my last Ubuntu GNOME install I ran TLP but there's so many hoops you have to jump though to get TLP on Debian, I just wanted to see if there was anything in the Repos already that'd do a good job of power management on laptop and notebook computers. Thanks.

Depends on Hardware in Debian.

Is this wanted for the Acer Aspire ZG5 you just got?

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling

Since kernel 3.4 the necessary modules are loaded automatically
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...quency_Scaling

Suspend on lid, shutdown on power button

Some people needed to install the kernel named "linux-one" in order to make this work properly. On the D250 (and possibly others), if the bios has not been updated to the latest (see elsewhere on this page for how to update the bios), then the 'lid' event is broken in the sense that it always reports 'closed' and it will continue to send lid events once triggered (thus blocking out power button events). In short, if you have problems with getting acpi events to work, update your bios.

See acpid for more information.
    Edit; Just for info, my zg5 bios version is

Code:
    Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3305 date: 05/09/2008
    I am not saying you need to do anything with the bios. I am just quoting what the Arch Linux wiki says about power management and the Acer Aspire One zg5.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

At the risk of Bricking my zg5. I upgraded my bios to version

Code:
    Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: AOA150 version: 1
               Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3310 date: 10/06/2008
    from 3305. I don't know if any improvements yet are going to be present. I used the method below to
    upgrade mine using linux to extract the files to usb. The only things I extracted and copied to a fat32 usb were

Code:
    biker@biker-laptop:/media/722B-1465$ ls
    FLASHIT.EXE  ZG5IA32.fd
    I left the readme alone and off of the usb but it probably won't hurt to put it there also if you wish.
    I followed the steps from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ0iVk67oTI

If it bricks yours, oh well, not my bad. I did this just cuz I am not afeared.
    I'd md5sum the download, then re-download the zipped bios again and md5sum
    that one to make sure bios download file integrity was cool first before attempting
    something like this. I'd check the 2 md5sums against each other and make sure
    I had a exact match. Just me covering the bases.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I was looking for something to run on my HP NC6400's and NC4400 that I'm running with Kali Linux 1.0.6. It's Debian based so I'm sure there's something that's a .deb or that I can do with sudo apt-get install from Terminal.
    When I put Ubuntu/GNOME on the NC6400's I use TLP but for Debian you're suppose to add stuff to source list and do a bunch of stuff. I'd rather just try the simple approach first then if I can't find anything I'll gedit into source list and mod it and jump thorough the hoops, LOL.
    The ZG5 is running great, that little Atom and SSD just sips the power.