Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
My work is based on IT security; the company monitors and secures many of South Africa and some international companies networks for threats and security breaches. The amount of Microsoft ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My work is based on IT security; the company monitors and secures many of South Africa and some international companies networks for threats and security breaches. The amount of Microsoft vulnerabilities and threats compared to Linux is unbelievable. The statistics are world’s apart. This brings me face to face with my biggest challenge. I have to learn master and administrate Linux in about a month. So far the experience has been brilliant and I can’t understand why more companies in this great country don’t use it. :P

Just Joined!
    actually from just studying one of the mailing lists I am subscribed to. The majority of PoC's and security advisories I come across are linux based.

The typical make up of my usual mailing list email.

a couple linux related exploits/advisories and the rest is people either being trolls or spouting "m$ sucks ass", every now and again I see a windows exploit, but I really do think the majority of exploits out there are for linux.

That doesnt mean that I am saying "linux boxes are attacked the most", I am saying that they have the most "weaknesses" but they are a smaller target. But this is just my opinion after reading some mailing lists for about a year now.

Just Joined!
    Would I be wrong in saying that it is easier to exploit Linux than Microsoft because the coding on Linux is open source. Do a google search for Linux based viruses and then do the same for Windows. Last time I looked at it, it was 7 for Linux and a few hundred thousand for M$. It is like comparing a tick to an elephant.

Just Joined!
    lol I fully agree linux is "more secure" in some respects (the root/other user system is its main strength in this regard) but I just have seen more linux exploits than I have windows ones discussed in security mailing lists.

p.s. sorry for my attitude in the last post , It had been a day from hell.

Just Joined!
    Don't worry about it, I know the feeling. I do have to add that I had been looking at a few sites in regards to exploits and I see your point.

Just Joined!
    You find out what you set to find out...it is down to the way you look for things and how you perceive the results.

Just Joined!
    Something new to find out. My internet explorer is working fine and dandy now, but my Microsoft office emulation is not(only doing it out if necessity). As soon as i open any office application Linux CPU util and mem hits the red mark and flats out on 100%

Linux Engineer
    Iwish... is there any reason why your using linux?
    you seem to try to get everything windows have into your linux box... Why not simply stay with MS instead...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    You mind if i print this last statment and give it to my project manager. I have been trying to convince them to leave the network as is, but no we whant Linux. The only whay that i am going to get my network to work on linux is if i emulate every Freaking windows products to linux.

Linux Engineer
    OK!
    So your project manager wants linux? or you do...
    Why do you need all those M$ app since you have linux port for each one of them...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast