Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I inherited a debian squeeze node with a simple LAMP stack installed. The backup 'solution' they set up is a simple USB disk hooked onto the server with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question USB disconnects during backup

Hello all,
    I inherited a debian squeeze node with a simple LAMP stack installed. The backup 'solution' they set up is a simple USB disk hooked onto the server with a LUKS+ext4 partition. Previously the files were simply tar-d together and copied to the disk, now I use rdiff-backup instead.

The problem is, that the disk randomly disconnects during backup. After the disk is gone, only a hard-reboot helps. Until that, the disk is not mountable again.
    According to SMART, there are no errors, everything seems to be fine.
    The node is in a remote DC, so physical inspection is not really possible.
    It seems, that the tar solution worked, but rdiff-backup kills the connection.
    Any ideas what causes this?

HW:
    Intel Server Board S5520HC,
    Xeon E5620,
    6G DDR3 ECC ram,
    Intel Server Chassis SC5650DP,
    a handfull of SAS disks

Saw a almost idential post on another site, but no solution. They were saying the external drive during backup get unmounted and remounted, but looks like it remounts read-only. That might generate and drive problem, if a problem on an external drive the kernel will unmount the drive.

Have you looks through your logs for error messages?

Just Joined!
    Yes, i've checked the logs, but there are no errors at all. In dmesg suddenly there is a USB disconnect message, and the whole thing dies. After the disconnect there are a lot of errors from hung tasks, mainly the USB subsystem, but there are none before the disconnect.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vadito View Post
    Hello all,
    I inherited a debian squeeze node with a simple LAMP stack installed. The backup 'solution' they set up is a simple USB disk hooked onto the server with a LUKS+ext4 partition. Previously the files were simply tar-d together and copied to the disk, now I use rdiff-backup instead.

The problem is, that the disk randomly disconnects during backup. After the disk is gone, only a hard-reboot helps. Until that, the disk is not mountable again.

HW:
    Xeon E5620,
    6G DDR3 ECC ram,
    a handfull of SAS disks
    I bought a 2TB Tobshiba external from Office Max and it disconects. I use this script which I start when I mount the drive and it keeps it from disconnecting.'
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #

UUID="${1}"
    interval="${2:-10}"

[ "${UUID#/dev/}" != "${UUID}" ] && UUID="$(info=($(ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ | grep ${UUID#/dev/})); echo "${info[8]}")"

SCREENNAME="keep_drive_awake_${UUID}"
    screen -wipe >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
    SCREEN_PID="$(info=( $(screen -ls | grep ${SCREENNAME} | sed 's=\.= =') ) ; echo "${info[0]}")"

case "${0##*/}" in
        status*)
                    [ "${SCREEN_PID}" != "" ] && echo 'Ruunning' || echo 'Stopped'
        ;;
        start*)
                    [ "${SCREEN_PID}"  = "" ] && screen -dmS ${SCREENNAME} /usr/local/bin/keep_drive_awake "${UUID}" "${interval}" \
                                              || echo "Already Running"
        ;;
        stop*)
                    [ "${SCREEN_PID}" != "" ] && kill -9 ${SCREEN_PID} \
                                              || echo "Already Stopped"

;;
        show*)
                    screen -r ${SCREENNAME}
        ;;
    esac
    I pass in theuuid for the drive and a time period to look at the drive. I currently use the default of 10 seconds between looks and it keeps it awake even if unsed when mounted and not in use.

Linux Newbie
    I don't know if its the same as happens to me but I think it is.. The problem on my drives is power... for some reason when I push too much on them they disconnect and when they connect again Debian can't use them and crashes... them I just restart and they start working again.

Linux Enthusiast
    The drive disconnects and the reconnection is "read-only" is what happens on the drive prior to my starting the background task that keeps the drive connected.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vadito View Post
    Hello all,

HW:
    Xeon E5620,
    6G DDR3 ECC ram,
    a handfull of SAS disks
    However, I am not able to diagnose the exact place of problem but can viruses be the reason to all this? or any physical damage? Sorry if it sounds silly.

Just Joined!
    I've modified my backup script. After mounting the partition, it starts a thread that touches a file on the disk every minute. Before unmount the task gets killed.
    It's stable since 5 days, will report back in a week or so, will see if it's going to be stable or not.
    Thank's all for the ideas.

Just Joined!
    Currently the modified script is running stable, but I have another problems, so I can't be sure if it is now really fixed or not. The node dies randomly, so I can't run a countinuous test for weeks.
    The USB resets are gone now, so it seems that the "tickle the disk every minute" modification is working.