Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a pure linux desktop with 4 OSes on it, it is booted through grub, and this direct boots the other 3 grub2 OSes one of which is Kali. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fstab mount problems

I have a pure linux desktop with 4 OSes on it, it is booted through grub, and this direct boots the other 3 grub2 OSes one of which is Kali. Because of my grub setup I do not have recovery options available for the grub2 OSes and Kali for some reason did not give me a root password option on install and a blank and toor do not work. I thought I might try opening mepis logging into a shell as # and running
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda6 and the doing a password set, however it appears there are no dynamic entries in fstab so that path is not open. Is it possible to do it with mount -t ext4 and follow through with a mount -o somehow I have tried a few things with no joy ?

Linux Engineer
    You don't need to use mount -o, you need to just mount the '/' partition for the distro of choice to any new mount point.

ie: mkdir /mytemp
    mount /dev/sda6 /mytemp

Then, you can either edit the /etc/shadow file manually, or you can try to chroot to that dir and run passwd.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Does Kali use sudo? If so does
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    let you set things up?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thanks chroot worked

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You don't need to use mount -o, you need to just mount the '/' partition for the distro of choice to any new mount point.

ie: mkdir /mytemp
    mount /dev/sda6 /mytemp

Then, you can either edit the /etc/shadow file manually, or you can try to chroot to that dir and run passwd.
    Thanks that worked perfectly