Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since I've been playing with Manjaro I've been getting into the habit of going into my partitions via Live USB to re-size them so I get things the way I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Point Linux 2.3 install, no Swap created??

Since I've been playing with Manjaro I've been getting into the habit of going into my partitions via Live USB to re-size them so I get things the way I want them to be.
    Today I did a Point LInux 2.3 install(Debian Stable, MATE DE) and when I checked the partitions to see about re sizing Swap to 2.0GB(the amount of RAM I have installed) there wasn't any Swap partition. Only one ext4 partition that root, home and grub are on.
    So, I wonder if I need to go in and cut off a chunk of 2.0GB and create a Swap partition or does Point Linux handle RAM and memory in such a way that they don't feel it's needed or what? I'm somewhat confused by the way they've set up the partitions since I'm now getting use to the way Manjaro does it with an ext2 Grub(i.e. boot) and an ext4 root/home then a Swap also. 3 partitions(well 4 if you count the little bit of unallocated that they leave that I have to add back into my ext4 partition) so, any clue as to what's going on here?
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Guru
    Are you saying the partitioner on your Point Linux installer is not seeing all of your partitions? Does it see all partitions other than swap? If you already have a swap partition, there is no need to create another but I would expect that it would show up on the partition window of the installer.

I'm saying that when I use a Live USB to boot up and go into my Point Linux install on sda that there's only one, single partition, an ext4 partition. No Swap, nothing else, not even a LVM off of the single ext4 partition to use as Swap.

Linux Guru
    If you know you have a swap partition, I wouldn't worry about that. If you know you have several other partitions on the drive and they aren't showing in the installer, I would be hesitant to install. I don't use LVM so I don't know what one would expect to see with it. If it shows unallocated space large enough, you might try installing there. I've never used Point Linux so can't suggest anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If you know you have a swap partition, I wouldn't worry about that. If you know you have several other partitions on the drive and they aren't showing in the installer, I would be hesitant to install. I don't use LVM so I don't know what one would expect to see with it. If it shows unallocated space large enough, you might try installing there. I've never used Point Linux so can't suggest anything else.
    I know that there is NO Swap or any other partitions except for one ext4 partition with root and home folder in it. I know many say Swap isn't needed but I like to run at least as much Swap as I have RAM so I'm just going to cut off a 2GB chunk and format it as Linux Swap just to be on the safe side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLgHHBUUSI

I needed a good grin for the day.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Over an hour and 20 minutes, it doesn't take that long to install Point Linux and do all the updates, LOL

Grin? I wanted to tear my hear out.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Must be a Debian Stable kind of thing because a WattOS R8 install that I did didn't put a swap partition onto the hard drive either. Just one partition, ext4 same as Point Linux 2.3.

Linux Newbie
    I never let the distro mess with partitions - I do it myself before I install anything. My USB drive with Parted Magic is a pretty handy tool...