Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got debian on my computer need a browser.I think it's debian stable,what ever that is.I don't know how to get a browser in the new desktop.I didn't get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I just got debian on my computer need a browser

I just got debian on my computer need a browser.I think it's debian stable,what ever that is.I don't know how to get a browser in the new desktop.I didn't get debian from a dvd or flash dr. downloaded along side of XP I think.Would this be called Linux debian type of system? Theirs so many different
    distro's and applications it's confusing yet.To many questions.

Linux Guru
    I just got debian on my computer need a browser.
    If you have actually installed Debian on your computer, you have a browser. In fact, probably several to choose from

I didn't get debian from a dvd or flash dr. downloaded along side of XP
    You will need to explain that in a little more detail if you want help. The standard method of installing Debian is to download an iso image file from its website and then use CD/DVD burning software to 'burn as image' to a CD/DVD or to use software designed to put it on a flash drive. So downloading it to your xp system is the first step. If you have gone beyond that step, what have you done?

The Debian site below explains the different options. On that page, click on "Try Debian Live Before Installing" which opens a new window. Scroll down the page to CD/DVD/USB and below that click on i386. Another new page appears with a list, clicking on the one shown below will probably be safest not knowing what hardware you have. It is a 1.2GB download.

debian-live-7.4-i386-gnome-desktop.iso

https://www.debian.org/distrib/

Debian is a very common Linux operating system and there are a large number of tutorials on how to install it. Just google that and you will get a lot of hits. Pick one.

Debian is very strict about all software being 100% so the default browser installed is called Iceweasel and it should be in main menu. Iceweasel is a stripped down version of Firefox, you can install the full version of Firefox or Chromium, or Chrome or one of many other browsers.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Maybe this will explain what I got because I don't seem to know
    There is another way to boot Linux iso and run live on WinXP computer.
    This is called frugal install.
    It means the Linux iso will be just attached itself to the WinXP c: directory, so that on next boot up you can select to run Linux in Live mode.

As such, you do not need to prepare bootable DVD or bootable USB flash.

Here are the steps I did
    1. Boot and run WinXP
    2. go to unetbootin website, download windows version of Unetbooin.
    Install it on WinXP.
    3. run Unetbootin, on Diskimage, navigate to the Linux iso you wish to boot.
    4. on unetbootin's last line, it reads 'Type'...
    select Hard Disk,
    yes, select hard disk.
    then press OK.
    unetbootin should then copy files and eventually amend the WinXP boot menu.
    5. on reboot, scroll to the line that reads 'unetbootin', hit enter key, unetbootin should boot the Linux iso and run Live mode..

Maybe this will explain what I got because I don't seem to know
    There is another way to boot Linux iso and run live on WinXP computer.
    This is called frugal install.
    It means the Linux iso will be just attached itself to the WinXP c: directory, so that on next boot up you can select to run Linux in Live mode.

As such, you do not need to prepare bootable DVD or bootable USB flash.

Here are the steps I did
    1. Boot and run WinXP
    2. go to unetbootin website, download windows version of Unetbooin.
    Install it on WinXP.
    3. run Unetbootin, on Diskimage, navigate to the Linux iso you wish to boot.
    4. on unetbootin's last line, it reads 'Type'...
    select Hard Disk,
    yes, select hard disk.
    then press OK.
    unetbootin should then copy files and eventually amend the WinXP boot menu.
    5. on reboot, scroll to the line that reads 'unetbootin', hit enter key, unetbootin should boot the Linux iso and run Live mode..