Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having problem in installing debian wheezy 7.5.0 on Supermicro server running on raid 1 whereby the hard drive is not detected. This server is running 2x 600GB hdd and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard drive not detected during Debian installation

I'm having problem in installing debian wheezy 7.5.0 on Supermicro server running on raid 1 whereby the hard drive is not detected. This server is running 2x 600GB hdd and i'm using DVD images of debian-7.5.0-amd64 and set boot into the thumbdrive due to the server does not have any cd drives. The installation went ok until i reached into partition section whereby the drives is not there to be selected

I've tried to use debian-7.5.0-amd64-netinst but still the same thing happened

Can i know what should i do? please help me thx

My server details:
    Supermicro SC813MTQ-R400CB
    8GB Ram
    2x 600GB HDD

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming this is hardware RAID, then it is likely that Debian doesn't have a driver for this gear. Have you contacted Supermicro or the RAID controller manufacturer to see if they have Linux drivers?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Assuming this is hardware RAID, then it is likely that Debian doesn't have a driver for this gear. Have you contacted Supermicro or the RAID controller manufacturer to see if they have Linux drivers?
    unfortunately, supermicro only offer driver for microsoft only

the motherboard is Supermicro X10SLL-F

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    i've already have the drivers, downloaded at areca websites, the drivers contain make32.c, make64.h, and makefile.file. right now i dont know how to install the drivers into debian so that it can detects hard disk in installation

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the RAID is your boot device, then you will need to rebuild the kernel elsewhere with the new driver and install that. This is not simple. If the boot drive is something else, then you can install the driver (insmod) and bring up the RAID, and configure the system so it loads the driver on boot. As said, this isn't simple either, and if you have not done anything like this before, then you need to do some studying first - it is too complex to get into great detail on a forum like this, in my opinion.

One other thing. Before you build the driver you also need the kernel headers for the kernel you are going to install the driver on.

Just Joined!
    Hi!

It looks like i've able to detect the hdd and were able to install debian on the server

but i'm having problem because when i finishes install debian on server, during startup the bios shows that both of the server hard disk type/status is "Non-RAID Disk" eventhough i've already configure the raid 1 during debian installation at partition section, i've even tried to set raid 1 at the bios, make both of the hard disk type/status "Member Disk" then proceed with installation until it finishes, the bios still shows that both of the hard drives is non-raid disk

is there anything i must do in order to run debian on raid 1??

There are two ways to configure RAID on Linux - hardware, and software. If hardware raid, Linux may not see it, but it still should look like one device. If software, then you need to use the mdadm tool to configure the raid. This would be done at installation. I have used this to create RAID devices on my system without problems. I have a couple of such running right now, and have been able to replace a bad disc and have the system restore the data to it from the other drive(s).