Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, First time setup Evolution I followed; https://help.gnome.org/users/evoluti...tml.en#bstfw13 to setup Evolution, the first time. Now it is completed. (pls see attached file) But I couldn't sort out how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

First time setup Evolution

Hi all,

First time setup Evolution

I followed;
    https://help.gnome.org/users/evoluti...tml.en#bstfw13

to setup Evolution, the first time. Now it is completed.

(pls see attached file)

But I couldn't sort out how to download the contents on Inbox and Outbox of the remote server.

Pls help. Thanks.

Rgds
    satimis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Engineer
    Are you using IMAP or POP3?

In either case you set up the account under Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts. I'm not sure how POP3 is handled - I presume they will download directly into your local folders when you hit the appropriate button (i.e. double click inbox or Send/Receive). With IMAP when the account is created it sets up another set of folders, in the side panel, under the name you gave - it defaults to the email address, and you read the mail on the server. To store it locally you can select the messages and either cut and paste to the local folders or drag and drop.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Are you using IMAP or POP3?
    POP3

In either case you set up the account under Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts. I'm not sure how POP3 is handled - I presume they will download directly into your local folders when you hit the appropriate button (i.e. double click inbox or Send/Receive). With IMAP when the account is created it sets up another set of folders, in the side panel, under the name you gave - it defaults to the email address, and you read the mail on the server.
    It is NOT important to me anymore. Because the email plan offered by Godaddy is without IMAP protocol support. If I couldn't sort out the problem I'll use Thunderbird instead. My goal to run Evolution is to check whether it'll download the Sendbox on POP3 protocol. Now I undstand it is impossible.

To store it locally you can select the messages and either cut and paste to the local folders or drag and drop.
    Could you please explain in more detail, how to drag an email on the Sendbox of a webmail and to drop it on the Outbox of Local Folder on Evolution?

Thanks

Rgds
    satimis

Linux Engineer
    [QUOT'E=satimis;952508]POP3
    Could you please explain in more detail, how to drag an email on the Sendbox of a webmail and to drop it on the Outbox of Local Folder on Evolution?
    [/QUOTE]

That's only for IMAP. With POP3 you download to the local folders by default. If webmail is all that is available then downloading your email will be specific to the provider. I'm pretty sure that godaddy offers POP3 and you'll need to look up the mail server address for receiving and some public sendmail address for sending - they may provide that as well.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    That's only for IMAP. With POP3 you download to the local folders by default. If webmail is all that is available then downloading your email will be specific to the provider. I'm pretty sure that godaddy offers POP3 and you'll need to look up the mail server address for receiving and some public sendmail address for sending - they may provide that as well.
    Incoming POP3
    Server hostname pop.secureserver.net

Outgoing SMTP
    Server hostname smtpout.secureserver.net

satimis