Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Debian linux, however the maximum screen resolution available is 800x600 in kde and gnome. My XF86Config-4 file lists resolutions upto 1280x1024. I have run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screen resolution issue

I have just installed Debian linux, however the maximum screen resolution available is 800x600 in kde and gnome.

My XF86Config-4 file lists resolutions upto 1280x1024.

I have run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and selected higher resolutions however these do not appear within the kde screen resize application.

Also, if I type xrandr within the console, the maximum resolution is also 800x600.

I know my monitor can display resolution much higher than this as when I boot into WinXP the resolution can be set to 1280x1024 and above.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to adding this resolution option within kde?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Hve you tryed anything like the command
    Code:
    CTRL-ALT-MINUS to put resolution down
    or
    CRTL-ALT-PLUS
    MINUS - PLUS on numpad
    this will toggle throu resolution...
    also if this doesnt work, please post your XF86Config File
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thankyou, the problem was that I needed to set my VertRefresh to 43-160, otherwise the resolution could not be attained.

Interestingly, I added this line under the monitor section:

Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"

However it had no visible effect.