Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All, I started using debian a few months ago and i really love it. I'm using the testing apt-repositories for updates. Yesterday i did Code: apt-get update apt-get upgrade ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What did apt do?

Hey All,

I started using debian a few months ago and i really love it. I'm using the testing apt-repositories for updates.

Yesterday i did
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    to update my system. I didn't really pay attention to what was going on except for when it wanted user input, to which i always kept my original config files. I did get a message that told me i needed to reboot soon, so i did this morning.

Now for some reason it appears that the upgrade changed/deleted some of the kernel modules i had, inlcuding Nvidia and ndsiwrapper.

Now i'm unable to use my old X config file and i can't get my internet to work.... and who knows what else.

I really was stupid for not reading what was going on, but is there anyway to "roll back" my updates?

If not, can anyone help me re-establish my old modules? I couldn't get ndiswrapper at all.... when i modprobe it, it throws up a bunch of "link not found" errors, which i can post if anyone thinks it will help.

I have no clue about my Nvidia module because that was done for me on original setup. When i try to startx using that config file it says that there is a problem with the Nvidia module, one exists, but no correct configurations were found..... that is if i remember correctly. I can post that exact error too.

Thanks

3rd party kernel modules must be re-compiled when you change kernel. I'd assume that since they are missing, the dist-upgrade gave you a new kernel. Just re-install ndis and the nVidia driver, and everything should be peachy keen.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot, worked like a charm!

I never had that problem with previous kernel upgrades, thats what caught me off guard. Even booting back to the original kernel didn't fix the problem. A simple make clean and rebuild of the ndiswrapper did the trick and i'm on now.

Thanks Again!