Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Burg bootloader

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Schweiz
    Posts
    14

    Burg bootloader


    Has anyone tried replacing grub2 with the Burg bootloader?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    1,970
    No I haven't tried to replace Grub2 with anything, mainly because I never used Grub2 ... so I cannot replace it. I use syslinux, Lilo, rEFInd, legacy Grub, BootEasy. And some more in past I even cannot remember.
    What's the advantage of Burg, is it less bloated than Grub2?

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Schweiz
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    No I haven't tried to replace Grub2 with anything, mainly because I never used Grub2 ... so I cannot replace it. I use syslinux, Lilo, rEFInd, legacy Grub, BootEasy. And some more in past I even cannot remember.
    What's the advantage of Burg, is it less bloated than Grub2?
    The reason I want to replace grub2 with Burg is mainly eyecandy, since Burg is a (discontinued) fork of grub that merely offers more customization options and a neat user interface , pretty much similar to the grub customizer package.
    Regarding the rest of your post, I personally have the following opinion regarding the bootloaders you mentioned:
    -Syslinux: I won't comment on that, since it's not a bootloader, rather a collection of bootloaders.
    -Lilo: Rubbish for my purpose, since it does not support functions like netboot, filesystem perception and efi boot.
    -Legacy grub: Good but a bit too old-fashioned for the purpose intended. Furthermore legacy grub does not support efi boot (except from this fedora grub patch/fork). Plus it's officially discontinued, and I regard it's an overkill to maintain the security updates myself.
    As for booteasy, I don't think I've ever heard of. Please elaborate on the benefits of using it.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greekfreak; 01-12-2017 at 12:35 AM.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    1,970
    You certainly managed to list disadvantages of mentioned bootloaders. It may come as a surprise to you, but all of them have also advantages, even Lilo can come out as a winner when specific purpose is considered. The job of a bootloader is to load the OS. Why should one choose a booloader that requires its own partition and looks and behaves like another OS by itself?
    BTW, BootEasy is the default bootloader of FreeBSD.

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Schweiz
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You certainly managed to list disadvantages of mentioned bootloaders. It may come as a surprise to you, but all of them have also advantages, even Lilo can come out as a winner when specific purpose is considered. The job of a bootloader is to load the OS. Why should one choose a booloader that requires its own partition and looks and behaves like another OS by itself?
    BTW, BootEasy is the default bootloader of FreeBSD.
    I explained the reasons why I am not using these bootloaders, and reasons for not using something are defined as disadvantages, if I recall my English classes correctly.
    Once again, Efi support, maintenance mode with interactive command prompt and visual pleasure is what I seek for my purpose, I don't care about the underlying mechanics efficiency, nor package size. If I cared about those, I would have used something else, may even uboot. BTW, Lilo is an excellent and simple bootloader depending on the circumstances and purpose, I've used it in pbx's and it worked like a charm.
    As for refind, which I forgot to mention before, I've used it in MacBook linux installations and I really didn't like it due to its instability and unexpected glitches. But then again, I'm not 100% sure I configured it correctly.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    1,970
    Well, you use whatever suits you. I, for instance, have a remote headless server booting with Lilo and I find nothing more is needed to boot it. Why eyecandy if there is nobody watching it? See, people are different. I do not want to dedicate a partition to bootloader, all I want is functionality. So your deductions may be right for you, I hope you don't think your beliefs are universally right for everyone?

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Schweiz
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Well, you use whatever suits you. I, for instance, have a remote headless server booting with Lilo and I find nothing more is needed to boot it. Why eyecandy if there is nobody watching it? See, people are different. I do not want to dedicate a partition to bootloader, all I want is functionality. So your deductions may be right for you, I hope you don't think your beliefs are universally right for everyone?
    Well the target machine is my desktop, and I would PERSONALLY like some eyecandy on it. I also have deployed several headless machines running different bootloaders depending on their purpose. As you may understand, there are different requirements for each type of machine. Please avoid selective reading just to annoy me, it's becoming tiring. I asked a specific question about a specific bootloader, I'm certainly not composing a journal on modern bootloaders and intended use cases, nor the thread is titled "Replace all of your bootloaders with burg".
    If you have anything useful to submit, you're most welcome, but once again please don't waste my time on idiotic arguments.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greekfreak; 01-12-2017 at 12:36 AM.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by greekfreak View Post
    Burg is a (discontinued) fork of grub
    there's the answer to your question.

    a bootloader is performing an important task on my machine, and i don't want to risk that by using an outdated version for some eyecandy that shows for 5s.

    fwiw, the grub2 operating system offers quite a lot of customization options all by itself.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  10. #9
    i think choumalion is a fully humanoid bot:
    able to rephrase previous statements in their own words.
    copy-pasta, but in their own words.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  11. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Schweiz
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i think choumalion is a fully humanoid bot:
    able to rephrase previous statements in their own words.
    copy-pasta, but in their own words.
    Who's choumalion?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •