Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You guys are starting to turn this forum into a bunch of smartass know it alls just like Debian User Forums. It takes a lot less effort and it's a lot friendlier to just give a guy the answer he wants rather than telling him to read the manual or research it himself. There are serendipitous benefits to engaging in a friendly dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
    You guys...
    it's always Us & Them, hmm?

It takes a lot less effort and it's a lot friendlier to just give a guy the answer he wants rather than telling him to read the manual
    for the first time, yes.
    but a forum should not be used as online documentation & free help desk, because that's not what it is.
    telling people to read the manual is in fact very, very important.

i strive to find a balance - proactively helping, but also trying to enable users to become less dependent.

There are serendipitous benefits to engaging in a friendly dialog.
    who said we aren't?
    keep in mind that it's all just print. how do you know what mood the person(s) involved are in?
    it's an online communication problem: people are trying to fill the emotional void. usually they end up filling it with what they find inside themselves.
    If a post is too long I might miss important information. Keep it short & on topic or mark the important bits.

You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!
    Stuck? Please read this! | please use CODE TAGS for code, please!

Thanks so much. I understand the command usage so much better now. Much better than what I attempted to learn from the man page.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close