Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

for if it is 0.0.0.0 then it is not working, if it is not this then so I need to assing one? If I do need to do this how do I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You can use ifconfig command to assign an IP address, and route command to set default route. Or you can run your DHCP client on your network interface to set up the connection automatically.
    You tried the easy way first, did you? It was posted six days ago. Please don't tell me you do not know how to use internet search engines to look up how to use DHCP client from command line in Linux. Or you don't know how to check out which DHCP client is installed in your PC. Or you didn't read the Debian documentation because you were too lazy. Yes, I'm starting to lose patience. I think I'll leave you in your own now.

Everything you need to know has has been posted in this thread. It is up to you now.

Just Joined!
    I did read the debian thing, After ten minutes my eyes were swimming and I ended up more confused then I should of been. though thanks to that, I got some information, witch I posted. the DHCp client.... had no clue what that was but I did google it.
    I have read and done everything you have asked. If you wanted me to look up a article on DHCP should of plainly told me so. Not play games of drop the hint and see if the fool can parlay the meaning or intent, because he should just know. These documents should take the how to for dummy in account, least they try to make it look like English.
    Yes I called myself a fool, for only a fool would even end up in this situation'
    that document though.... I still have it opened. lazyness was not the issue, confusion was,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    why do I need to play with advanced functions to just connect my pc to the internet? I just google the dhcp thing and there telling me I am going into advance waters, I thought you said linux was easy, how then is my internet connection becoming a thing for advance users?

go back to post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by ickda View Post
    I purged gnome.
    I can not see my boot up
    I do not have a working gui
    I am using terminal F1
    I need help figuring out were to get my ethernet connection to work,
    there's the reason why something simple suddenly became something advanced.

advice for the future:
    be more careful before un/installing things; read everything before pressing Enter.

for now: reinstall. maybe with a different DE this time.
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

Just Joined!
    I need more advance hand holding like a teacher. The "help given' Is not made for a fool of my nature and also my filing system is rather shot, I look at my directory and only five trees are intact.

Just Joined!
    https://www.lifewire.com/internet-us...d-line-4045263

cd /etc/wpa_supplicant

Due to the mess that is my directory, I can not get past this step, Am I boned on wifi due to this?

Just Joined!
    Or at least give me a bone on the last step I am stuck on, Your help has moved me, but I am stuck on a gateway issue.,

Just Joined!
    the debian wiki is very galimaufry in nature, thee, that is the community dose little to make sure the everman is enlightened. Nay though instruction book is confounding,