Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Copy Linux machine

I have a VM running a Debian Linux 6 OS with a OTRS Helpdesksystem. The VM is on a physical machine running Server 2016 Standard and is joined to a domain.

I want to copy or clone the vhdx file to another VM for testing purposes on the same physical machine.

On Windows there is a function called Sysprep, which removes SSID and other unique information such as IP adress and Computer Name.

How is this done with a Linux vhdx file? Is there anything else to be aware of when copying a Linux machine?

-->
    You do not need to do anything special in linux especially if you want to keep the system as is.
    If you want to clone vm than use win server, I assume hyper-v , export/import option to clone vm. Export will copy all files vhdx and vm config out to a folder.
    Import will ask if you want to change the vm is etc. It works most of the time.
    Also you can create a new vm first. Than copy the. Drive file into the vm folder next to empty drive you created as part of new vm.
    Than go into vm config and remove the empty drive and add existing one instead. Linux should boot just fine.
    Now just login into the vm and change name and up as needs.
    Reboot and you done.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk