Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    5

    Question Cloning utility with GUI?


    Does anyone happen to know what package or packages I have to install to get this? see attached.backup-3-600x450.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dttauzin; 02-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    i cannot see anything.
    can't you just tell us?

    or maybe
    https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=linux%...ning%20utility
    ...?

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    5
    Yes, I am looking for a GUI or graphical front end for disk cloning with the drop down selection menus from and to that does compression. So far doing my research seems like I am stuck with scripts using dd and gzip combined. Something point and click maybe something like Redo Backup uses. But I need the entire disk info like clonezilla (boot records and all that only uses the actual data so the backup isn't the size of the actual drive.) Any suggestions? Do you know what packages Redo Backup uses? or did they actually write code for the GUI? I know they use part clone which is basically for partition information. I need something similar for entire disks.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dttauzin View Post
    Yes, I am looking for a GUI or graphical front end for disk cloning with the drop down selection menus from and to that does compression. So far doing my research seems like I am stuck with scripts using dd and gzip combined. Something point and click maybe something like Redo Backup uses. But I need the entire disk info like clonezilla (boot records and all that only uses the actual data so the backup isn't the size of the actual drive.) Any suggestions? Do you know what packages Redo Backup uses? or did they actually write code for the GUI? I know they use part clone which is basically for partition information. I need something similar for entire disks.
    Macrium Reflect?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    5
    As far as I can tell macrium reflect installs on windows and i do not believe it can do ext4. I am trying to put something together, I guess I am going to have to settle for using dd and compressing the image. I do believe that dd is totally awesome, however if you have a 2 tb drive to backup it will consume 2 tb of disk space. I wonder if there would be a way to make sort of a local website on the machine that could queries your machine and make it like an html application inputting all the selections into the final code to run using dd.

  7. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    5
    Does anyone know why clonezilla has never done a gui that would be more of what I would be looking for.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dttauzin View Post
    As far as I can tell macrium reflect installs on windows and i do not believe it can do ext4. I am trying to put something together, I guess I am going to have to settle for using dd and compressing the image. I do believe that dd is totally awesome, however if you have a 2 tb drive to backup it will consume 2 tb of disk space. I wonder if there would be a way to make sort of a local website on the machine that could queries your machine and make it like an html application inputting all the selections into the final code to run using dd.
    Yeah I just used Macrium to image drives completely for changing out large volumes of work stations and laptops with SSD's. Made compressed images of UEFI or MBR drives for immediate use with all partitions. Beyond that I used EMC Storage arrays for large volumes and the utilities included with them.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Linux Newbie sarlacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by dttauzin View Post
    Does anyone know why clonezilla has never done a gui that would be more of what I would be looking for.
    A GUI is nice and visual, I agree, with all the options to fiddle with. But, you don't always have access to a graphical interface, and those graphics require libraries... all sorts of libraries. So you cannot beat a CLI for compatibility, even though Clonezilla does depart from this a bit with it's TurboC-like interface. It's a common story on Linux, that is part of the power behind getting things done.

    In the case of Clonezilla, given the low-level that it works at and the need for absolute reliability, a GUI would just add issues.

  10. #9
    I use Clozezilla from inside PartedMagic. It is not a true GUI but it is menu (ncurses likely) driven. You make the selections from the menus and it executes. I've cloned a LOT of drives with this. PartedMagic is just so handy. The last free version is still available from sites online...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

  11. #10
    -->
    +1 for clonezilla. Worth learning to use.

    However, btrfs send/receive can be good for some of the same use cases. Really, think about what an image of a partition is for. No GUI yet, sorry.

    Regards, John Little

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •