Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I was hoping to get someone to help me with Debian Linux. I need some help getting it installed with a desktop manager. I have little to no experience ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Debian

Hello, I was hoping to get someone to help me with Debian Linux. I need some help getting it installed with a desktop manager. I have little to no experience with linux, altho I have a bit of experience with windows it does not help me when it comes to working with a new OS. I would appreciate any help.

Just Joined!
    Can we have a little more information?

Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You might want to try playing with a LiveCD that's based on Debian. Some, like Mepis, will also let you install the OS on your harddrive relatively easily. The advantage to the LiveCD is that unless you tell it to, nothing gets written to your computer; the whole OS runs off your CDROM. It's a good way for a newbie to get the feel of the OS with no commitment or danger to their existing setup.

Knoppix is another good LiveCD distro.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you I will try out that livecd. What I am trying to do is setup debian like a desktop pc as seen in http://www.lynucs.org/?debian those screenshots. Something similar along them lines and I havn't the slightest clue how. I am trying to experiment with other OS's besides windows.

Banned
    Those screenshots are just Debian + GNOME.
    You have this by default if you simply install Ubuntu:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Those screenshots are just Debian + GNOME.
    You have this by default if you simply install Ubuntu:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
    Not all are GNOME. Several are WindowMaker, Xfce and Fluxbox as well. In short, I still recommend trying a LiveCD first. Once you get comfortable with a Linux system then you can experiment with whatever desktop environment or window manager you like, be it Gnome, KDE, Xfce, fluxbox, enlightenment, etc.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've already played with linux a bit on mandrake, but I heard debian was better so I decided to get that. I am using the livecd now as I am posting with it. It works better then any linux I've tried but it mostly reminds me of mandrake. I would like to get a good linux desktop system like in those pictures.

Linux Guru
    For the most part, you can make any distro look like any of those screen shots. It's just a matter primarily of which window manager you use, like Trusted Penguin techieMoe said, and after that, getting the applications for things like systems monitoring and music player, etc. It's cool that the screen shots include a list of applications to help you out.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    The pictures tell you which software you need for it? That's pretty nice. I'll look into that, btw I was having a problem installing my nvidia drivers in mandrake, maybe I should post this there, but I updated the kernal source and stuff and I install it and it gets to 100% then errors with wrong kernal msg or something. Plus there is no sound for it on mandrake, prolly becuase it didnt detect it in the install but even if I got the sound driver I wouldnt know how to put it in.

PS
    About knoppix, it detects my sound card but there is no sound on it at all I was wondering if there was a way to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast