Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Hi I am thinking of installing Debian woody on my laptop. However, I need kernel 2.6 for a project that i'm working on. Has anyone tried installing this kernel on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    41

    Kernel 2.6 on Woody


    Hi

    I am thinking of installing Debian woody on my laptop. However, I need kernel 2.6 for a project that i'm working on. Has anyone tried installing this kernel on woody? Any problems I might encounter? Suggestions?

    Thanks
    is-serp

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,120

    Re: Kernel 2.6 on Woody

    Quote Originally Posted by is-serp
    Hi

    I am thinking of installing Debian woody on my laptop. However, I need kernel 2.6 for a project that i'm working on. Has anyone tried installing this kernel on woody? Any problems I might encounter? Suggestions?

    Thanks
    is-serp
    No problems at all (unless the few you have with all 2.6 systems)...
    But why woody?
    Their's already a new installer that will install Debian Sarge(with kernel 2.6 as a boot option).
    This will soon become the new Debian stable.
    It's hardware detection is also a lot better and its drivers are not as old as the ones that come with woody (making it a lot easier).

    See:
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    41

    Re: Kernel 2.6 on Woody

    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    But why woody?
    Their's already a new installer that will install Debian Sarge(with kernel 2.6 as a boot option).
    This will soon become the new Debian stable.
    It's hardware detection is also a lot better and its drivers are not as old as the ones that come with woody (making it a lot easier).
    I'll download sarge then... I had some problems installing woody on my laptop.... hopefully sarge will be better.

    Thanks
    is-serp

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    Re: Kernel 2.6 on Woody

    Quote Originally Posted by is-serp
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    But why woody?
    Their's already a new installer that will install Debian Sarge(with kernel 2.6 as a boot option).
    This will soon become the new Debian stable.
    It's hardware detection is also a lot better and its drivers are not as old as the ones that come with woody (making it a lot easier).
    I'll download sarge then... I had some problems installing woody on my laptop.... hopefully sarge will be better.

    Thanks
    is-serp
    you should have stated what problems you're facing with woody. new software doesn't mean no problems specially when sarge is still in testing/unstable.

    fyi, i'm using 2.6.10 kernel on my woody lappy.

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    41

    Re: Kernel 2.6 on Woody

    Quote Originally Posted by joroxx
    Quote Originally Posted by is-serp
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    But why woody?
    Their's already a new installer that will install Debian Sarge(with kernel 2.6 as a boot option).
    This will soon become the new Debian stable.
    It's hardware detection is also a lot better and its drivers are not as old as the ones that come with woody (making it a lot easier).
    I'll download sarge then... I had some problems installing woody on my laptop.... hopefully sarge will be better.

    Thanks
    is-serp
    you should have stated what problems you're facing with woody. new software doesn't mean no problems specially when sarge is still in testing/unstable.

    fyi, i'm using 2.6.10 kernel on my woody lappy.
    They are driver related problems. I have downloaded and installed Sarge. The only problem I have is that my sound card was not detected and no support for ACPI. A kernel recompilation will fix those though.

    is-serp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •