Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've used Windows since I got my first PC in 1997. My current machine is an Athalon 650, 256 MB RAM, with a 20 gig HD, PCI hardware modem, ATI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Debian Install problems

I've used Windows since I got my first PC in 1997. My current machine is an Athalon 650, 256 MB RAM, with a 20 gig HD, PCI hardware modem, ATI video and Creative sound card.

I first encountered Linux 3 years ago. I started out with an early edition of Mandrake, then got a more recent edition last year. I was fiddling with the services in rc, and broke K, Gnome, and I think X in general.

So I was thinking of moving to Slackware, but seeing how configuration there isn't very close to the other distributions, and I'd like to get my LPI, I finally settled on Debian. I got a DVD copy of 3.0 r4 to use in the mail on Saturday.

The install goes OK (if I skip the package installs). I can now boot into the command line, and when I try to run dselect (which knows which packages I want because I picked Desktop, games, and the office/productivity groups.

When dselect attempts to run the install, it reports an error saying that a library package (I'd have to look up the exact file name) had an invalid character ($) in the name of the file. Should I attempt to edit the file name on from the install disk (and where would those be?) Should I copy the file off the DVD manually? Should I find the package in the dselect window, and deselect the package, and any anything that depends on it?

Or should I give up on Woody, and go for Sarge? If I do that, is it possible to get a smaller version than the 14 or 15 disk set. I'm guessing that as developer disks, those have source code and other things that a normal user doesn't need.

Do you have a decent internet connection? If so, the easiest way to install anything would be to use apt-get. I've never actually installed vanilla Debian off-line.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Connection

I don't have the money right now to spend on a fast internet connection. I have free dial-up at home..

Re: Connection

Quote Originally Posted by ericrun
    I don't have the money right now to spend on a fast internet connection. I have free dial-up at home..
    I understand that one. I've never had that particular problem with dselect, but as I said I don't usually install Debian offline. I'll defer to someone who might have more experience in that arena..
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

you can use apt-get with your cdroms.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...n.html#s-cdrom

then try
    Code:
    apt-get install library-package-name
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!

This morning

I attempted another dselect this morning (before I saw the advice), and it started unpacking packages and then stalled. I think I'll start from scratch tonight, and maybe some of the problem will be gone. Thanks for the advice!