Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm slowly installing Debian fixing things as I go. Long story; compiling custom kernel, updating to 2.6.8.1, installing NVidia drive. Yikes! Anyways, I finally got KDE/XWindows working. But when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shell problems

Hi, I'm slowly installing Debian fixing things as I go. Long story; compiling custom kernel, updating to 2.6.8.1, installing NVidia drive. Yikes! Anyways, I finally got KDE/XWindows working.

But when I log into my desktop, I find that I can't run any Xterm, shell, Konsole type processes. They either pop up a window then fire off an error dialog about Linux 2.2.x (the shells) or Konsole doesn't even show up (just a hourglass icon in the taskbar).

When I looked in my ~ dir, I found some lines in the .XSession-errors (?) file. Two lines said:

'ptsname: No such file or directory'
    'Can't open pseudo teletype'

Looks like there is no ptsname after doing a which on it. Am I missing a lib or module? Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated in advance. Haven't tried GDE or other window manager yet, but I would assume similar problems.

Thanks,
    Art

Linux Engineer
    Might be a permission problem with psuedo terminals, check your permissions for /dev/ptmx and /dev/pts (pts might be a directory).

Just Joined!
    Hi valan,

Thanks to getting back to me.

I saw the /dev/ptmx file and the permissions are:

crw-rw-rw-

I am not sure what this means in terms of devices (linux/unix newbie). I did notice that I could see the permissions for the /dev/pts directory. I wasn't listed, but I could cd into it. There isn't anything in there. Another weird device thing that I don't know about.

Do you think these settings are correct?

Art

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Can you run a "ls -l" and then post it using the code tags on the forum?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    bpark,

Here is what I get. I went into pts dir and did a 'ls -la' and there really isn't anything in there.

ls -l ptmx
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 2 Mar 14 2002 ptmx

ls -l pts
    total 0

Art

Linux Engineer
    Try this one too
    ls -ld /dev/pts
    What's inside the pts directory really doesn't matter, they come and go on the fly as they are needed. If all the permissions are right (which they have been so far), then I really don't know what the problem would be. I had the same problem before, and it was the permissions giving me trouble.

Just Joined!
    I did the 'ls -ld pts' and got: drwxr-xr-x. I chmod 777 pts to get everything, and still I have the same errors.

I keep getting the dialog that I need to setup Unix98 ptys for the bash shell. The dialog said this is for Linux 2.2.x, but even though I'm at 2.6.8.1, I bet I still need to set something up...

Linux Engineer
    Hmm now it sounds like you don't have it supported in the kernel. Go back and enable the Unix pty stuff and recompile.

Just Joined!
    Just checked my menuconfig. I do have Unix98 pty built into the kernel, but I didn't have the Legacy (BSD) pty selected. Do you think I need both? I'll try recompiling with both on and see what happens.

As always, thanks.

Just Joined!
    There was some other pty stuff I think in the file section or network section. I'm sure that was what was missing. I actually gave up and am using a stock kernel. But now I've got everything working (including my NVidia driver).

Why can't NVidia play like everyone else!?!?

Thanks everyone who helped out.