Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everybody, iīve been trying to install sarge from ftp. i installed the base system without problems via cd. Then, after reboot, i selected the nearest ftp server, ftp.rediris.es, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

instalation from ftp: connect problem

hi everybody,

iīve been trying to install sarge from ftp. i installed the base system without problems via cd. Then, after reboot, i selected the nearest ftp server, ftp.rediris.es, and it didnīt work. so i tryed with others server but it got the same results. i think the problems is mine and not with the servers.

iīve got an internet via officeConnect 812 ADSL router. the router works because i have internet in windows XP. i configured the net, during the installation, but i am not sure what "name servers" are. in that moment of the instalation i entered the IP of the gateway and then the DNS of my internet provider. i have proved with the DNS only but it doesnīt work either.

thanks,
    alfonso

This doesn't answer your question, but I can connect to ftp://ftp.rediris.es/ so the server is fine. must be on your end.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    thanks anyway

i wonder why the instalation program doesn't ask me for my connection nickname and password... when i installed mandrake from ftp the program did so.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by skotperez
    thanks anyway

i wonder why the instalation program doesn't ask me for my connection nickname and password... when i installed mandrake from ftp the program did so.
    it works for DHCP.... i guess that is one reason why mandrake is more user friendly
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by skotperez
    thanks anyway

When you finish the base install try running "pppoeconf".
    It will ask you for pass and username.

If that doesnt work, describe how do you start connection in windows.

Just Joined!
    the script pppoeconf doesnīt work. i have to edit by myself some files:

- /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    - /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider
    - /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot.dsl

as i can see in the following web (spanish): http://bulma.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1758&nIdPage=4

but at the end it works.

thanks,
    alfonso