Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a real linux n00b, so I'm having some troubles. First thing's first, I log into debian and it stops the startup at the keyboard and mouse symbol, or perhaps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've just installed Debian

I'm a real linux n00b, so I'm having some troubles. First thing's first, I log into debian and it stops the startup at the keyboard and mouse symbol, or perhaps directly after it. I'm not really sure what's going on, but the screen blinks then goes back to the login screen. I can still log into gnome, but not debian. I'm using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so I wouldn't think there would be any problems with that... any pointers at all?

Just Joined!
    have you tried to execute xf86config? this may configure your XF86Config file that contain all the info about the Xserver. you can also edit the file by hand. before do that you may be sure you have all the info about your video card, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

good luck
    skotperez

Just Joined!
    I tried opening it under Gnome (again, all i can log into) and it just opened for viewing but not for editing... what is another way to open it, or do i have to open a text program or something (again, i'm a noob).

Just Joined!
    Firstly, debian is the type of distrobution of linux, while Gnome is just the Desktop Environment, - so you're comparing unlike things. KDE (K Desktop would be a valid comparison to Gnome, and Xandros would be a valid comparison to Debian. Secondly, as a newbie, why are you trying to run Debian in the first place? Debian is a type of linux designed more the experienced users or techies. For a newbie, and non-techie (i.e., the typical windows users) - you should try a starter distro like Xandros, Linspire, or my personal favorite, Suse. Xandros has just released a free version (Xandros 3 OCE), and you can get a free version of Suse 9.1 "Personal". Just burn it as a data/iso image using Nero, or K3b if you have it available under Linux. Between the two Suse is the best because it has extensive support forums, and the Novell/Suse site has "tons" of information for those that are interested in learning about Linux. Just my 2 cents - you'll be frustrated unless you get an easier version of Linux to start with.

I like Debian

If you want to try debian try using others versions like, knopix, katonix, ubumtu....
    I as a suse user but it was really hard to have every thing that i need working....now i use katonix....i just love it...my DVD works fine, apt-get is just amazing....keep trying to use Debian....
    Suse and Fedora there are made for enterprise....
    see yeah!

Just Joined!
    Alright, I'll look into another distribution. Thanks for the help.

Just Joined!

Debian's not too bad...

...there's always Dettu[xx] <eg> http://hobbingen.uni-muenster.de/dettus/dettuxx/

Seriously, you could do a lot worse. Try dropping down to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and logging in, and su to root, then type:
    Code:
    apt-get install aptitude
    aptitude install kde kdm
    See how you do with that. Nothing beats Debian, honestly. By the way, keep off Mandrake and RedHat if you want to do anything interesting, anyway rpm sucks.

Just Joined!
    I had this same problem. It was because I seleced VGA for the video card during setup. If you did the same, change it to VESA in XF86Config-4 so it will look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

you can use vi as a text editor

Joel