Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'ev decided to try debian but I nticed that sarge has 15 disks! how many do I need to install debian though?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how many disk's!?

I'ev decided to try debian but I nticed that sarge has 15 disks!
    how many do I need to install debian though?

Really and truly? Only the first. I'm pretty sure it's only seven discs, though...

The disks beyond the first are just packages. You can download all these when you install programs. As long as you have broadband, this shouldn't be a problem (and will be the best way to do it).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Are we talking CDROMs or Floppy disks? I imagine it is some ungodly huge number of floppies, sure, but the last time I checked Debian "Woody" 3.0rc3 was only 5 or so, and out of that you could install the system from just the first disc and download the rest with apt-get.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have just completed downloading three disk's, could I install without actually going online with that?

If it's CD's then yes, you could. As far as I know, to install Debian you need two or three floppy's (the kernel and a couple of other things).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    sorry, yes it's cd's

thanks!!

Just Joined!

DVD

Get a DVD image. You're better off, because you don't have to muck around with finding the right one of seven cds every time you use apt-get. DVD burners don't cost much anymore, if you're from the UK look on overclockers.co.uk; about 40 for a dual layer 16x one.

If you have a fast internet connection (anything other than dial-up), it is better to istall stuff with apt-get over the 'net rather than from cd's or a dvd. You get the latest versions (well, you get the versions which you want, be they stable, unstable, testing....). I'd say burn the first cd then use the net for everything else.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    If you have a fast internet connection (anything other than dial-up), it is better to istall stuff with apt-get over the 'net rather than from cd's or a dvd. You get the latest versions (well, you get the versions which you want, be they stable, unstable, testing....). I'd say burn the first cd then use the net for everything else.
    I second this,
    Simply download the testing release (Sarge) it has more then 8000+ app... Downlaod the network install, during installation phase, you need an internet connection (Router, hub, dhcp) in order to connect to the FTP... then it will install all the latest stuff. Great, Great, Great... re-installed it last night. For "regular" package, its about 2h of download at average of 100k/Sec.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps