Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason, throughout the entire installation, and now at the command line, I can never see the bottom 4 or 5 lines. They're there, just not on the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Display problems

For some reason, throughout the entire installation, and now at the command line, I can never see the bottom 4 or 5 lines. They're there, just not on the screen for some reason. This made the installation quite annoying, and is making the command line enviroment very annoying as well.

I also had another problem. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I can't seem to figure out how to access the desktop environment at all - I've looked in the gnome directory, and several others, and can't find what it is that I have to run. Also, I can't seem to even do anything with just the command line - even when I'm logged in as root, it keeps telling me I don't have permission to run anything.

I am a bit of a newbie to Linux - I've only ever used Mandrake before, and that was almost a year ago. I would, however still like to figure out Debian, even if I need some help to do it, because it seems like the most suitable distro for me right now.

Linux Newbie
    To get the missing lines on your monitor, you need to adjust it vertical and horizontal sizes and positioning. A new resolution will frequently need this adjustment.

Jeff

To get into X from the command line, just type startx.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Try moving the screen

Use the controls on the monitor to move the screen up, and change /etc/lilo.conf to say vga=standard, and run /sbin/lilo as root.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I think I should clarify: I'm running this on a laptop. I can't do that.

Just Joined!

Ah.

That complicates it a little, but try to change the VGA mode as above, and see what happens then.