Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Now I am install the newest Debian, but the USB keyboard and mouse can be detected, how can I solve this question? Pls help, thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help for USB Keyboard and Mouse

Hello,

Now I am install the newest Debian, but the USB keyboard and mouse can be detected, how can I solve this question?

Pls help, thanks!

Just Joined!
    make sure that usb keyboard is enabled in bios if you haven't used it on this machine before. I'm not incredibly farmilar with debian but you may have to pass a kernel argument to get this to work. Is this durring install or after it is complete?
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!
    from the beginning, the USB keyboard and mouse can not be detected , so I can not do anything. In BIOS, the USB device is always enabled.
    I try to install Debian woody.

Linux Newbie
    Another way to make it work: You can use a USB to ps2 adaptor. I am assuming you have a ps2 connection
    for the keyboard and for the mouse on your motherboard or back of your PC. The adaptor is cheap.
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!
    is it possible,

at first, borrow a AT keyboard, then install by Debiab CD 1, after that, replace with USB keyboard, then boot with CD5 or CD2?

Linux Newbie
    Good question...
    You start with the AT keyboard..
    Install the software..
    Reconfigure for a USB keyboard... (but I think keyboard configuration, at this level, is in the BIOS not the OS)
    now the AT keyboard no longer functions..
    No way to reboot...
    I would say no, but...
    A USB keyboard may be hot swapable.. if so you could just plug it in and go.
    But I have never tried hot swapping USB, only for external hard drives and thumbdrives.
    Somebody else may have that answer and post it, be patient..

Just Joined!
    to follow up I think that from your response, that these guys are on the right track. Many devices may not work durring the install. USB are some real hickups sometimes. Use either a ps2 keyboard and mouse or usb to ps2 converters on your usb hardware to do the install like they recomended unless of course you still have an AT machine in which case you will need a serial mouse (probably) and an at keyboard. I don't think that I have ever seen a usb to AT adapter... hmm. anyway like they said after the install you should be able to configure usb devices.

This is great.
    You mean I don't have to pay to do this.
    you guys rock.
    again I think that there may be a kernel arg but KISS
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!
    hmm. well you may be able to use both the at and the usb at the same time as well I'm not sure about keyboards but a usb headset is. Depending on your kernel this feature is going to exist or be better anyway. I would try it. If you are stuck and the alternative is hitting the power button for crying out loud try it. The worst that you should do is see that it won't work.

This early in the game it may just be easier to plug both in and re-install. if you have to quit mid install you will have to anyway. generally speaking the install process is kind of a sacred time. The only things that you should mess with as far as hardware would be the cd drive and answering questions. This is the infancy of your operating system. It still has a soft spot on its head and it's eyes aren't open.

The usb and at should not have a conflict as they do not as far as I know occupuy the same address range or ask for the same irq. I think that the usb will use the root hub irq. I don't see any reason that you couldn't plug both in and then you shouldn't have this problem. I don't know how debian probes for new hardware but redhat distros use kudzu. I'm shure that deb can figure out that you have a usb kb on reboot.

--Jeff--

Linux Newbie
    Yes, USB keyboard support is in the BIOS..
    I would suggest borrowing the AT keyboard..
    Installing the software..
    rebooting.
    Enter the BIOS on reboot (del key usually)
    Now change the BIOS for a USB keyboard.
    Save and exit BIOS.
    Power off the PC.
    Change to the USB keyboard.
    Power up and hope the OS recognizes the new hardware.